Temporarily removing double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a very small house and am looking at buying a new sofa. My problem is that the house is so small that I can’t see me getting any size of sofa in because of the size of the doorways and the hallway.

I was thinking of removing the double glazed window at the front of the house. Is this feasible/worth doing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It would depend on what type of window it is. If you mean a small bay window then no you can not since the window frame itself gives some suport to what is above it (if you paid an arm and a leg then you could have it taken out and the ceiling supported). If it is a big enough opening window then yes you can. Since it was designed to be opened it takes no weight

It may be possible to remove the double glazing unit without removing the frame. The glazing unit is seperate from the frame and is held in place by a gasket and a beading. The gasket forms a seal between the frame and the glazing unit. The beading is usually a snap in strip that goes all around the window, and should be fitted on the inside of the frame.

To remove the bead you will need to find the point at which it is snapped into the frame. Because the bead is snapped in lengthways, ie around the frame, start in a corner and prise it out,usind a pallette knife or something similar. Take great care to support the glazing unit, as when you release the beading, the glazing unit will become loose, and if large will be very heavy. I suggest a two person operation. Handle the glazing unit very carefully, and put it well away from any furniture moving operations.

Putting it all back is a reversal of the steps to remove it, and putting the beading back can require a little force, glazing fitters use a plastic faced mallett.

a worthy note:

sometimes the beading is put in from the outside (normal practice is to put in from the inside but origonally it was put on the outside, untill it was realised that burglars can remove it)

Sponsored Links
You could always just buy a wooden flat-pack sofa. I used to have a leather one that could be taken to bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back