Glow worm 30ci. radiator heats up when shower is used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that "summer" is here I've noticed that the radiator in our bathroom starts getting warm when we use the shower. After the shower is used for 3-5 minutes the bottom of the towel radiator is warm. I know this shouldn't be happening as the heating timer is off for the summer so we only have it set to on demand hot water for the taps and shower. Any ideas why the central heating would be coming on?

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
It is most likely that radiator could be on the hot water circuit, i.e. on whenever the hot water is on, regardless of whether the heating is off

First thing to check will be the Plate heat exchanger for blockages. The diverters on these are pretty reliable but once the plate starts to block the extra pressure forces the diverter open and additionally the crud starts overfilling into the diverter waterways. Once you've checked the plate heat exchanger is clear, depending on what's found you may need to replace/clean the diverter cartridge, this just screw out from the RHS of the manifold once the motor is removed. You can get the cartridge as a kit if needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice all. A blockage in the plate heat exchanger makes sense as we've been cursed with sludge in the system since we moved in 2 years ago. I've had to clear sludge out of the flexi hose to the expansion vessel on several occasions to cure high pressure problems despite having shelled out good money for a half a**ed Power Flush!

Much appreciated

Pete

It is most likely that radiator could be on the hot water circuit, i.e. on whenever the hot water is on, regardless of whether the heating is off
i would go with this being the reason

I think that Kevin is having a "junior moment".

It sounds as if the plate is blocked again and the resulting back pressure is causing the diverter valve to leak.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back