Price to fit approx 25 metres cable / trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem where four sockets have ceased to work, and the electrician has identified the fault as a broken/faulty junction box somewhere in the flat. Rather than try to locate the box and risk damaging walls, floors etc. (I live in an old property - about 1804), I prefer the easier option of rewiring the sockets using surface mounted cabling. There is plenty of this around the flat so it's unlikely to stand out too much.

So it will be a new run from the consumer unit, of approximately 25 metres, connecting up to the existing 3 x Double sockets, and adding a fourth double socket along the way. The trunking would have to go up and over an 8ft x 6ft window, and up and along a picture rail to get over the fireplace, but it doesn't seem a particularly troublesome task, no drilling required etc.

I've been quoted £200 for the job, but this seems a little bit steep.

I realise no two jobs are the same, nothing is binding, and the area of the country may play a part (I'm in Gloucestershire), just wondered if £200 seemed a reasonable price for the work.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
OK you fit new cable to the sockets and they are working

identified the fault as a broken/faulty junction box somewhere in the flat

Can you be 100% certain that this junction box is completely isolated from any live supply and is therefor "safe".

and up and along a picture rail to get over the fireplace, but it doesn't seem a particularly troublesome task, no drilling required etc.

No drilling is good as old buildings have cables is the strangest of places just waiting to attack the drill bit. Like a cooker cable where the new curtain rail was to be fitted. But how will the ducting be secured to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Aye, seen that before

YT sticky is a fantastic invention for getting it up on the wall level quickly, but it does need screwing afterwards!

Should point out the LOL after my 'suggestion'. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

No drilling required... what I meant was that there will be no need to drill holes through the walls of the flat to route cables etc. - some of my walls are almost 2' thick!

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a couple more quotes and see how they compare.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back