making sure connections to grohe mono mixer are watertight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just joined up after getting some excellent DIY tips here :)

We are looking to fit a wall tap mixer into a stud wall and want to make sure we get it right as it will be plastered up from both sides.

The mixer bit that will be hidden in the wall looks like it can be connected with flexi hose which we have. But how do we make sure it is watertight...

Do I just wrap PTFE tape around before screwing in or am I using the wrong connection by using flex hose?

the hot and cold 'holes' to screw into seems rather deep and the flexi hoses screw right in - I've even dropped in an olive but it does even get to that.

I've attached some images

[GALLERY=media, 12047][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 12048][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 12049][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
No, don't use the olive on the joint on the side of the mixer body. Its a 1/2" BSP fitting, not compression.

Wrap some plumbers PTFE tape 7 times approx CLOCKWISE (looking at the open end of the flexi) around the thread on the end of the flexi pipe. Screw it into the hole on side of the mixer by hand then tighten (don't over-tighten!) with a spanner.

The olive and nut you have are for the other end of the flexi to fit to the copper pipes.

P.S. Congrats on buying a qualty mixer. In the unlikely event of it going wrong, you can always buy spares for it. A wise purchase!

Listen!

You appear to have taken the nut and olive off the flexi and now you are going to just screw what's left into the female threads on the valve body.

If that is the case then you should not be attempting this job . You are using the wrong fitting to start with.

And your somewhat bizarre use of the olive tends to suggest you are out of your depth.

Thanks for the reply guys... Ok so I haven't got the right fitting what should I be using, or do I just wrap PTFE around the flexi end????

Let's face it this can't be rocket science and yes I only put the olive in to illustrate that I knew that this was something that looked wrong.

Your right Steady I don't want to be out of my depth..... in water pouring from this

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Let's face it this can't be rocket science

yes your quite right its not rocket science.
thats why your still doing it
23_11_59.gif
when you put that in the wall damed if i would use flexis.

thanks seco what do you use then?

I used compression joints so far to reroute the pipe but this is the last bit... I even asked some people in Wicks and they didn't even know what the fitting was.

See. ;) it could be rocket science after all

thats a mi (male iron) fitting and don't require fibre washers.
just use ptfe or liquid ptfe.

Use traditional rigid copper pipes with the correct fittings, using PTFE tape. They will help to position your valve when you come to fit the front plate and rings. Flush the pipework through before connecting the valve. Once it's all connected up, turn on the water and test it then give everything a good wiggle to make sure you've done your joints right.

I didn't and guess what happened? Oh well, at least we've got an access hatch now in the wall behind the valve, which we cover with a big calendar.

Thank you all, lot more to this plumbing milarky than I originally thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back