Radiator bleeding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I have a problem with my central heating. Yesterday my flat mate went around the house bleeding off all the radiators, and did not turn the central heating pump off. Sometime this morning Ive found none of the radiators work, no hot water, and the now the pilot light wont come on.

Has he screwed up my central heating system or has the boiler simply broken down?
Everything was perfectly sound previous to his meddling.

Cheers, Will.

Sponsored Links
if you have a pressurised system, and it had a lot of air in the rads, then bleeding them may have reduced the pressure.

In which case find the filling loop and repressurise it a bit

there will be a pressure gauge on the boiler, what number is it on now?

if there was a lot of air in the rads then you probably have a corrosion problem.

Also, look at the pipe from the pressure relief valve, which probably goes outside through the wall behind the boiler. does it appear to have been dripping?

more info in the top few informational threads on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

see 6) BOILER PRESSURE PROBLEMS on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170&start=0

If you have not got a pressurised system, you had better start by telling us the make, model and age of your boiler, and if there is a Feed and Expansion "header tank" in the loft, if it has water in it, and, when you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully, or does it stop or slow to a trickle.

OOI, why is your central heating pump running in June?

if you have a pressurised system, and it had a lot of air in the rads, then bleeding them may have reduced the pressure.

In which case find the filling loop and repressurise it a bit

there will be a pressure gauge on the boiler, what number is it on now?

see 6) BOILER PRESSURE PROBLEMS on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170&start=0

OOI, why is your central heating pump running in June?

Thats done it! I followed the steps written by ChrisR and it seems to be working now. The pressure reading was below the red mark, but I have repressurised to 1.5 bar now. Fortunatly corrosion did not seem to be the case.

Btw, its allright for you down in Hampshire, but its still a bit cooler up here in bonnie Scotland!

You're not alone. 'Er indoors nagged me into putting the heating on last night - in Bristol - in flaming June!! :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back