Why is naming and shaming inappropriate

D

dextrous

Why is it wrong to provide details of legal outcomes (such as successful and publically accessible prosecutions or bancruptcies) which identify known rogue traders?

We probably know a few amongst us, but don't post any actual information since the mods will remove it.

Anyone on here got any views on the matter?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your patience with this, mod. I understand the potential problems with litigation that he may envisage for unsubstantiated accusations. He is aware of my views and I look forward to his response.

Sponsored Links
is it someone on here?

It's always possible, but we'll never know since any specifics are to be gagged. It is fair to say that I don't have anyone on here in mind, to my knowledge.

Without naming names, if you missed the original deleted post, I think it is safe to provide details of the situation.

Worked for a bloke about 3 years ago, managing a site somewhere in the capitol city.

He employed several people and subcontracted out to plumbers, roofers etc, who were used on several of the sites he was contracted to do across the aforementioned city.

Since these should have been lucrative, we were (reasonably) ok to wait for payment (with a promise of a bonus) since money released by the quantity surveyor was largely put back into the jobs for materials and subcontractors who wanted money up front, on the repeated assurance that the books looked healthy and that we would get all payments owed as soon as possible. So we carried on, sometimes putting a few quid in to source materials, and forwarding his wife timesheets and receipts. It was tight at the time, but managable with the dribs and drabs that came to us. In for a penny, in for a pound was the stage we got to.

The end came when he declared himself bankcrupt, owing me about 5K, one plumber £27+K for materials (which he had to find to pay his suppliers on account) and labour, an electrician £3K, a roofer £7K and a couple of (good, loyal and very hardworking) Polish carpenters about £7K.

He hadn't been skimming, but had clearly underpriced the jobs horrendously and had some previous debts which we were unaware of. Not once did he apologise to any of us, and had repeatedly lied over a period of months. When I searched the insolvency service to check the validity of this latest claim, I found that it was true. What I also found was that he was still under a long-standing bankcruptcy order from a few years previous to this, which would explain why he was a cash-only trader with no credit cards nor trade accounts. I am also aware that he owed his parents-in-law a couple of thousand and a supplier a few more. I am also aware that he had taken a few thousand cash from customers and left them high and dry with incomplete work.

We were all, in hindsight, foolish, to be sure, but sometimes you just take people at face value and the size and number of contracts made us feel secure with the potential outcome.

Personally I feel that he should be "outed" as a rogue trader to protect other tradesmen and customers from having dealings with him and any new business he may have set up, but my attempts to do so on here have been curtailed by Admin and the Mods, due to reasons you can read in an associated thread.

I accept the potentially "unsubstantiated" argument by Admin and the Mods, but feel that since his bankcruptcy order is still available on a free and public domain, then a link to this is as valid as a link to a newspaper, radio, youtube or other freely available media.

But I doubt I'll get my way, and sad as it is, I don't blame them.

My real ire with the man (but I'm not looking for revenge), is that the two polish carpenters worked their socks off and, unlike us natives, had nothing to fall back on. The fact that we spent time away from our families (I have 2 young children and both the poles had babies) adds injury to insult.

I can see you are clearly very miffed as I would be too. Maybe the local media might be interested in this story as they are always looking for something to print.

Internet forums won't get you much exposure and could expose the site owners to a libel suit. :(

Live and learn and sorry you have been done.

What is truly amazing to me is that my link to a bancrupt trader has been pulled off the forum, and yet there are several other references to bad companies that have been allowed to remain. What is the difference?

I can't see a problem with posting the name of a company with a specific warning, as long as it can be substantiated and is not a personal attack..

such as "beware of Joe Bloggs Building, they have gone into bankrupcy leaving several contractors with no hope of claiming owed moneys", rather than "watch out for Joe Bloggs Building, the gits just stuffed me out of 3 grand and left my extension half done.."

Please note, the name "Joe Bloggs Building" was randomly plucked out of my head and is in no way meant to represent any company at all, any resemblence of name to an actual building company is purely coincidental.

Oh, and feel free to PM me with the details of the rogue trader and I'll make sure that all my mates know about it....

perhaps you might try a new post in the style of the "harrison Mcarthy has gone bust" post?

they don't seem to have a problem with naming that company?

Sponsored Links
Back