No heating or Hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Please?
Glow worm Fuelsaver mk11.
System 10 years plus.
In the attic is a pipe terminating with a one-way valve over the expansion tank.
When first installed it used to let air in and all stopped. The answer was to seal it with a plastic bag. IT WORKED!
Last week the bag was bulging with water so I punctured it...and forgot to replace it!
The pipes near the boiler bang like mad and the boiler shuts off after 30secs or so.
Pump etc is working OK and no air in rads. etc.
Two upright pipes (in attic) have \\\'finger\\\' bleed valves.
I presume I have an air lock but can\\\'t work out how to purge the system.
Thanks in advance\\\'

Sponsored Links
The pipes are vertical and end with a knurled (finger) screw which when turned releases water/air.
Hope that makes sense?
Regards.

PS When all is left running the boiler fires up every 5 mins or so, but only for 30 secs.

Eeeh! they're the bleedin' vents, you know, the things soldered onto the end of uprights with a screwdriver slot in them so you can break your finger nail before you get the mole grips on it. :D

Sponsored Links
No slot...no broken fingers nails.....just turn on demand :LOL:

Kev,
Will try that now, or at least when I have struggled up to the attic :rolleyes:

Hacksaw a slot in the top then, and get it done up good and tight the professionals way. That way when they are used to bleed later they might not seal and you'll need a professional to come in and part drain the system before replacing the washer and charge you a very reasonable fee. :D

Tried without pump running, but no change :cry:
Retightened with pliers!

Regards.

switch it off and undo the big screw in the middle you will get a dribble of water while your there make sure the shaft is free small screwdriver in hole and spin the shaft then switch on and feel if its turning (carefully )
:)

Kev,
I did that earlier to make sure it was running!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back