DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Belmont rad valve leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDowson

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Belmont type rad valve (old) leaking slightly in my bedroom, round the top, I've never had to change any of my valve before or fix them, I believe i need a new oring (s) for these type of valves.... as they're unlike the packing gland (ptfe) standard rad valves, do i need to drain down to undo/get to the o-rings?.....??

Have never worked on 1 before, so any advice would be great before I start!! They all happen at once!
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
clf-gas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Seeing as you want to add inhibitor to this system then why not, drain off and remove rad valve, inject inhibitor repair and replace valve, refill system and run to circulate.

icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
JimDowson

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Good idea!

System is full of water now though .... took ages to re-fill icon_sad.gif Was thinking of draining a bucket or so and then adding inhibitor then topping up as necessary to get back to 1.5 bar.

ARe these valves hard to replace o rings?
 Alert Moderators
Boilerman2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote

There are two types of O ring, Red & Green, One is for the Old Belmont Valve (Grey Knob) and the other is for the newer version, I'm sorry I can't remember which is which, I do know that the valve is a nightmare to fix and only for the very brave!!

You have to turn the valve fully on, then remove the knob, undo the brass packing nut, using a spanner on the spindle, unscrew the spindle out of the valve, the spindle will leave the valve seat in place inside the body, (the pressure of water holds it in place!!!,) repalce the O ring on the spindle and NOW THE SCARY BIT... you have to re-insert the spindle into the valve and screw it back down, DO NOT PUSH OR FORCE TOO HARD or you will overcome the pressure of water holding the seat, causing it to drop which will result in a system full of water to pour out of the valve, and leaving you with a total disaster. BEST TO FIT A NEW VALVE icon_twisted.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: