Downlights

deb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased some downlights on ebay that arrived without installation instructions. I have sorted the wiring out but (and I know that this sounds daft)I can't figure out how to keep the bulb up in the recess. The kit come with an outer housing, two springs and a circular piece of wire that I think attaches to the springs in some way, shape or form (????). The bulb fits directly into a transformer and will quite happily hang loose but when the housing is put into the ceiling it just falls out. Am I missing a piece of kit or do I just cable clip the excess cable? Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
do you mean:
1)You can not keep the lamp in the holder?
2)The lamp stays in the holder, but falls out the fitting
3)You can not keep the fitting in the ceiling?

the circular clip goes in after the bulb you squeeze it in and it expands and holds the bulb in.

Hi Breezer... Thanks for your response (I noticed that you are a regular). Basically Number 1...I can fit the holder to the ceiling and the bulb is wired to the transformer but the bulb on the flex falls through and just dangles in mid air. Plus I am left with the spare circular piece of wire.

SJTaylor... I will try your suggestion today ... I guess I'm just a visual person and can't really see how it would work (eg what it would attach to) but I am ready to be surprised.

But overall Seasons greetings to you both and many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
This would be the spare piece of circular wire that has the two ends bent in towards the centre, and the diameter of which just about matches the front face of the bulb? If so, that's a spring clip which you fix in by squeezing the two ends together and pushing against the face of the bulb, in the fitting, and releasing so that the clip occupies a small groove in the fitting, preventing the bulb from falling out.

By the way, it may not be quite as easy as I've just described, especially if you're balancing on top of a stepladder. (And, of course, if I'm wrong about what you've got, it'll be impossible :D )

jc

Deb there are 2 types of downlight

Pressed steel - Generally really basic and come with a spring clip that is a pain A. They get lost, B. They are crap to fit.

or Die cast - More substantial and come with twist release centre, easy to chage lamps and better quality for little more expense.

Transformers I would only recommend IBL they are quality and reliable. Also lamps I advise to get branded lamps (Osram, Phillips, BLV, or GE) as most others are rubbish and last no time at all.

delmel said:
Transformers I would only recommend IBL
delmel said:
Hope you have a decnt make of Transformer or you will have fun. Hope u got IBL ones as they are the only reliable and proven one that i would use
delmel said:
Important to choose a quality product, suggest IBL the only one i would fit.
delmel said:
Install some transformers decent ones (only IBL)
A recurring theme.

Are you really saying that out of all the makes of transformers in the world, there is only one that is any good, and all the others are rubbish?

Anybody else agree?

downlights.GIF

http://www.cays04430.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ft/downlights.GIF

Just whipped that up, hope it helps (I'm sick of the things after installing 5 sets the other week)

ban-all-sheds said:
delmel said:
Transformers I would only recommend IBL
delmel said:
Hope you have a decnt make of Transformer or you will have fun. Hope u got IBL ones as they are the only reliable and proven one that i would use
delmel said:
Important to choose a quality product, suggest IBL the only one i would fit.
delmel said:
Install some transformers decent ones (only IBL)
A recurring theme.

Are you really saying that out of all the makes of transformers in the world, there is only one that is any good, and all the others are rubbish?

Anybody else agree?

lol don't you get it BAS, IBL are just the best, everyone uses them, best thing after sliced bread, better than selotape for insulation of live conductors ;) :rolleyes: :)

L.Spark said:
lol don't you get it BAS, IBL are just the best, everyone uses them, best thing after sliced bread, better than selotape for insulation of live conductors ;) :rolleyes: :)
Only a fool would use Sellotape.

Paper masking tape - that's the stuff to use, 'cos you can write on that what the circuit is - very handy.

Pretty much they are the only reliable transformer. Ive been involved in the industry 25 years and have learnt other cheaper option are just not worth it. I have been burnt in the pocket by trying that.
Up to you at the end of the day
Another good one is Mode but much more expensive and no better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back