(Possible) Asbestos Garage roof repair question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1970s Marley garage (actually half of a semi-detached double garage - one of the two previous owners brilliant(NOT) idea) with a corrugated concrete roof, which I presume to be asbestos concrete.

It developed a couple of leaks at the front/back panel joins which I have seals with bitumen roof sealant (http://www.henkel-technical-services.co.uk/PDF/TDS/10363TD.pdf). However, I noticed that a couple of the corrugations have cracks in them, running longitudinally along the bottom of the corrugation on the inside of the roof, and some fibres are apparent.

My plan is to paint the whole of the inside of the roof in masonry or similar paint to seal it in, but wondered if there was a recommended product to seal the cracks with before I paint.

This will be a temporary measure for a couple of years until we can afford to replace the roof, although that may be troublesome due to the double nature of the garage and the complete lack of relationship with the neighbours!!

Sponsored Links
A product we use for this type of thing is sealoflex, it's a liquid applied coating which uses a fabric reinforcing layer, there are other similar products around too. If it's only temporary then you only really need coat the cracks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back