Anyone Converted a Church/Chapel/Parish Hall into a Dwelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My first post, so please go steady...(not sure if I have posted this into the right section?)

As title, has anyone (themselves personally, friends/family) ever converted a Church/Chapel/Parish Hall or similair into a dwelling?

Just looking for any costings/experiences/hassles/advice really...

PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Liam

Sponsored Links
ever converted a Church/Chapel/Parish Hall or similair into a dwelling?

Just looking for any costings/experiences/hassles/advice really...

Hi Liam,

a lot will be dependant on the listing status of the structure.

As an aside, it has been deconsecrated hasn't it.........

:eek:

I converted a chapel into a house about 11 years ago. We bought it directly from the Methodist Church. It wasn't listed which did make things much easier and we didn't have an ajoining graveyard.

Haha...it's a few meters away from the Cemetry itself, so should be alright!

This one isn't Listed either, which I think will help me a great deal...

Are there any items that I should particularly worry about...?...Or am I right in saying it's typically like buying a house that is in need of refurbishment/extending etc?

Are there any additional costings that are specifically related to this sort of building?

Thanks

Liam

Sponsored Links
We went way over budget which was mainly down to the fact the budget was wrong to start with. e.g.we had planned on trying to reuse a lot of the old flooring but when we removed it it was in such a state it would have cost too much to renovate. Our design was quite cutting edge and hence the builders were learning as they went along too!! It is quite tricky if you want to incorporate energy saving systems as the height of the ceilings and shapes of the rooms don't always make it easy or cheap to do. We also found that our local building regs inspector struggled as he wasn't used to dealing with builds like this. the problem with that was if there was something he was unsure of he just rejected it rather than checked it. My recommendation is to assume everything is going to be more expensive than you think as we had to have most things custom made due to the scale of the building. It is definitely worth spending the extra though as you end up with a very striking place to live.

Only striking if you leave the clock in situ :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back