Load bearing cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick built-in cupboard in an upstairs bedroom that I want to remove. It is only about 3 foot wide but there is a wall joined to it which forms a corner. Removing the cupboard will only involve removing a section of the longer wall, (to the depth of the cupbaord), not the whole thing. Will either of these walls be load bearing and can this be done? :confused: The cupboard is partially positioned above the stairs so as the floor of the cupboard is sloping slightly to incorporate the top of the staircase.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine by the sounds of it that the cupboard masonry can be hoofed out and any tie-holes made good. It is extremely unlikely that the wall is bearing any load other than its own weight.

I presume that it does not carry on into the loft space?

Pictures say a thousand words :D

Also a pic of whats directly above in the loft, perhaps showing the joists as they run over the cupboard.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if it might be an old chimney breast? sounds like it could be

agree about going into the loft and seeing what is on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back