Stud wall removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just looking for some advice. I am looking to remove a stud wall above, and around the side of some fitted sliding door wardrobes within my bedroom. this will create an alcove effect to place free standing wardobes. I have removed the wardrobe door frames and the plasterboard and I don't think it is supporting the roof rafters as there is plasterboard running above the wood (extension of the bedroom ceiling plasterboard). Does this need building warrant? The info I can find (I'm in Scotland btw) says I don't but am not sure. Also I checked into getting someone out to double check it is not load bearing and was quoted £300!

Any advice is welcome.

Sam (girly!!)

Sponsored Links
Hi Sam,
you dont need a building warrant to remove fitted wardrobes!!

what was the £300.00 quote for?

welcome to the forum by the way :D

Hi Alistairreid,

thanks for the quick reply and the friendly welcome!!

Although I have done some diy, removing this bit of wall was making me worried about whether it is supporting or not, so I phoned a surveyor for a quote to nip out and check, that was the £300 I was referring to, seemed a bit steep to me.

I was looking on the councils website which stated I needed building warrent to remove stud wall, but the scottish building reg site says I don't, that why I was confused.

I should have mentioned on my first post I want to take a bit of depth from the hallway cupboard to extend my 'alcove' in the bedroom.

Like I said there is plaster board above the wood that was teh wall so I'm guessing its not supporting, what do you think? Sam

Sponsored Links
£300 quid is too much to check if a wall is load bearing. Offer him £175

Or you could get a builder out. It will be cheaper but your house might fall down and then 10 months later when you've tracked him down he won't have any insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back