Stop leaking washing m/c drainage hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to do this? The drainage hose from my washer goes into a vertical pipe and is free standing but it does tend to froth up and overflow over the top of the pipe a tad as it goes into the drain. There isn't much room for manoeuvre and the hose does seem to be as far down the pipe as I can physically get it.

I don't want to seal it permanently so is there something out there for me that will stop this?!?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Check your waste pipe (drain); it may be partially blocked, the pipe run too long or wrongly installed; or it could just be the wrong size. Don’t seal it, that will just cause other problems.

What's the best way to do this? The drainage hose from my washer goes into a vertical pipe and is free standing but it does tend to froth up and overflow over the top of the pipe a tad as it goes into the drain. There isn't much room for manoeuvre and the hose does seem to be as far down the pipe as I can physically get it.
I don't want to seal it permanently so is there something out there for me that will stop this?!?

Thanks!

check you haven't pushed the hose right down into the bottom of the bend which may be causing back flow up the standpipe when it discharges

Ah, thanks guys. That's a good chance that's where the problem lies. I went for pushing it as far down as I could going on the belief that the further it was down the pipe, the less chance of water coming out :oops:

Will give it a go!

Sponsored Links
Blast! It's still doing it. High enough? I dunno. Down to the u-bend it's approx. 7.5". As I was saying, there isn't much room and I had to trim the pipe to stop it hitting a shelf above it so the drain hose just has enough room to get into the pipe.

Think this is turning into another one of my classic moments :LOL:

Humpty if you look at item number 18640 in "Screwfix" the pipe goes from near the floor to nearly the top of the washer.

Down to the u-bend it's approx. 7.5". As I was saying, there isn't much room and I had to trim the pipe to stop it hitting a shelf above it so the drain hose just has enough room to get into the pipe.
Almost certainly there’s your problem; the stand pipe should be 2ft high; you say "down to to the u-bend", the stand pipe should have a trap fitted at the bottom before rising up into the horizontal waste pipe. Is your washer adjacent to the sink; if so the best method is to use a sink trap fitted with an appliance hose connector & connect the outlet directly to that.

No, it's not really near the sink, it's nearer to the drain. Trap is what I meant when I said u-bend, it's all the same to me :oops: I fitted it myself, there wasn't one even in it before. I was pretty impressed with myself with that one.:cool:

My idea now is to remove some of the shelf and drop the pipe so that the trap is near to the floor. This will allow me to double the length of the stand pipe. Everything is enclosed in a cupboard and I'm fighting for every inch.

Of course, for this idea to work, I am going to have to call upon my legendary wood working skills. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back