Crumbling mortar on new wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a conservatory built last year, and I have noticed that the mortar used has begun to deteriorate very rapidly.

On the lower courses, I can literally wipe the mortar away with my finger! :cry:

Does this mean that the wrong mix was used in the first place? Interestingly, the mortar on the higher courses seems much stronger.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its a weak mix, or if done over winter, it has frozen or been attacked by frost before setting.

It will need repointing

Get the company back to sort it.

And if repointed, the whole wall may need doing to get the colour all the same, rather than patchy

Thanks for the quick reply.

The work was completed in about October last year, so I expect it is due to a weak mix.

Am I likely to experience any ongoing problem if it is repointed over the old, crumbly mortar?

Once the mortar has a tough weathering face, then the soft mortar behind it will not be a problem.

It needs to be raked out to 20mm though, not just a token gesture on the front of the mortar - or that will fall out too

Sponsored Links
There are a lot of these companies that are using nothing more than "handymen" to do their work. They have no idea of the trade/s,, or what a quality finish should look like. They think that customers are stupid, and wouldn't know a good job from a bad job. These "handymen" are only interested in doing the job as quick as possible,,, getting paid for it,, and offffffffffff,, to the next sucker!! We've had a few posts on here regarding poor quality workmanship on conservatory's. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

There are a lot of these companies that are using nothing more than "handymen" to do their work. They have no idea of the trade/s,, or what a quality finish should look like. They think that customers are stupid, and wouldn't know a good job from a bad job. These "handymen" are only interested in doing the job as quick as possible,,, getting paid for it,, and offffffffffff,, to the next sucker!! We've had a few posts on here regarding poor quality workmanship on conservatory's. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

This one certainly falls into that category. A large national company did it, we made them knock the first effort down as it was so bad. The second one was better, but does not look great (different colours of mortar used, uneven gaps between bricks etc).

After a year of arguing about it, we just let them finish it and took a (small) discount. I was relieved to get it done, especially as the poor workmanship appeared to be largely cosmetic. Now them problems appear to be starting!

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction Kingston 22. Centuries ago magnificent cathedrals, castles and palaces were built, and they stand today, many still inhabited,,, and here's you having trouble one year after getting a modern conservatory built,,, :rolleyes: shocking.

Roughcaster.

When poor workmanship appears to be only cosmetic there are usually structural faults to go with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back