Boiler Fires when programmer off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that this has been listed before but it does not appear to have a clear explanation I also have also had a phantom boiler running when the programmer is off(Tempus 7 approx 15 years old). It usually is in the middle of the night. Timed to go off at 22.00hrs and if the tank is drained just after can cause boiler to run at 01.00hrs. Only way to stop was switch off power and switch on when get up.

Was suggested that 3 way valve was cause as it somehow still had a live feed to it? Have replaced motorised valve but problem is now happening at random times during day. Do I now replace the controller? :?:

Sponsored Links
This suggestion is so obvious as to cause offence, but lets rule it out anyway; you have got the clock in the timer set to the correct time of day haven't you ?

Its always best to ask the obvious but its correct. Its an intermittant problem. The Tempus has a couple of neons indicating when on and they are not illumiated. Pump runs and boiler on but room stat not controlling (stat also has neons red and green and they are not on). I get woken up because I have a convector heater in bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Addendum

My only thought is that the electronic progmmer is allowing the pump, boiler and MV to receive mains power?

what type of boiler is it and where is it sited

Thinking frost stat maybe???

Have you got a frost stat fitted that you don't know about?
Sorry! I didn't see the previous post!

Thanks for comments

The boiler is a Baxi Bermuda which is in chimney breast downstairs. Its a pumped system and the water tank is directly above it in bedroom.

There is no frost stat.

The boiler running has also happened in the summer.

My thoughts are that its the electronic time controller which is somehow allowing power to the pump and boiler, impossible as sounds?

The same problem happened to my combi boiler.
I leave the hot water on 24hrs and heating off at night .The diverter valve was inoperative and the rads were still heating up.
I fixed it by replace the synchron motor but you could replace the complete valve assembly.
This could also have been caused by a power supply problem to the motorised valve so it it worth checking this first.

Noted

I have replaced the complete valve actuator recently. Ill have a look at the wiring. What I cannot understand is that how can the pump, boiler and valve be powered when the time controller is off?

I'll take the hit and replace the controller.

Its alway difficult with intermittant faults :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back