Unblocking underfloor drain - with brick acid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to help unblock a drain for a friend. The bath in their flat has recently started to back up and drain poorly. The blockage seems to be in the pipe linking trap to stack (bath drains a little and then stops). This pipe is old and probably has a poor rate of fall, hence it has blocked. The pipe is also under a newly-layed floor and the bath has just had a hand-made bath panel put on it which I can only get off by destroying it.

This pipe is almost certainly made from copper.

I have tried hot water, devil plunger, hosepipe to build up pressure. I don't want to wreck his new bath panel that he spent a long time making, so I am thinking about adding some chemicals.

I was going to dose it with Spirits of Salt (in the form of B&Q Brick acid which I understand to be Hydrochloric Acid solution). This will not be good for the copper drain pipe.

Friend understands the risk but has asked how big a risk is it - will it knacker the pipe straight away or will it be okay of left in overnight?

I have an experiment set up in the shed with some copper in a bath of brick acid....

What say any of you? Worth a try or guaranteed disaster?

Sponsored Links
i never use any chemicals to unblock any drains.

i always use a waste pipe auger never fails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back