party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my new neighbour knocked out all the chimneys and all the bricks were exposed, and much of the pointing missing.

As the plasterer was too dear for him, someone told him to board over with plasterboard and get it skimmed.
It seems this is what he is now doing.

I think it is a 9 inch wall.
Is this likely to cause noise issues through the wall.
Is this ok for him to do.
Thanks

Apoligies, not sure if Building or plastering forum

Sponsored Links
He can remove his chimneys if he wants too, as long as he does it safely and to an acceptable standard.

Granted, there may be a greater degree of noise transfer where the wall thickness has been reduced, but no greater than the wall either side of the chimney breast.

Common sense would say fill any missing bricks or mortar, but this is an issue with workmanship as opposed to regulations.

Thanks noseall, unfortunately the bloke is very heavy handed and took off the plaster with a kango, he also took it off the walls each side of the old chimneys.

I could see the holes and some were at least 4 inch deep,when I went in there last week.
Yesterday I see it all boarded over and am pretty sure he did not fill any first.

This was just after he removed one of the chimneys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back