Distance of gas cooker from electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise on the following. I am redesigning my kitchen and the electricity meter is presently located on the wall inside one of the base cabinets next to the cooker at a horizontal distance of 260 mm from the cooker. I want to know what is the minimum distance can a cooker be from the electricity meter as I am planning to include a bigger wall unit which will eventually move my new cooker position to 50mm from the meter. I am struggling to locate this from the 17th IEE regulation.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
BS6891-2005
8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units; b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

that's pipes, and for all we know it's all electric..

there's no set distance according to the wiring regulations, it mentions suitability for environment and external influences such as heat etc..
there may be something more definitive in the building regulations, or the manufacturers instructions...

and surely it has to be positioned so that the heat from the cooker will not make it hot

Sponsored Links
that's pipes, and for all we know it's all electric..

Title of post does mention gas cooker but the spacings mentioned is from the gas pipe so may still be ok, although the manufacturer's instructions should hopefully spell it out :)

Hey guys, from what I can gather from you, I think the most important thing to consider here is an adequate distance between the gas cooker and the elctricity meter to prevent the meter from being heated by the heat generated by the cooker. Assuming the gas pipe runs on one end of the cooker then the minimum distance of 150mm will have to be respected.

Will also look into the buildings regulations and see what I can find out. But if someone has the answer, please feel free to post.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back