Which multi-fuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Wasn’t really sure weather to post this here or plumbing & heating :confused: . I am the market for an inset/cassette multi-fuel stove & talked to a few local suppliers but am getting conflicting info/advice. Most want to push one particular make (not all the same make) & rubbish the others & so I seem to be going around in circles. Anyone got any unbiased views/experience on/with the following;

Stovax Riva 66
Esse 350
Morso 5060

Or can recommend something similar. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi all
Wasn’t really sure weather to post this here or plumbing & heating :confused: . I am the market for an inset/cassette multi-fuel stove & talked to a few local suppliers but am getting conflicting info/advice. Most want to push one particular make (not all the same make) & rubbish the others & so I seem to be going around in circles. Anyone got any unbiased views/experience on/with the following;

Stovax Riva 66
Esse 350
Morso 5060

Or can recommend something similar. ;)

All three are good makes and models, I have an Esse free standing stove and cant fault it

Are you going for a model with a backboiler ?
Thought about combining one with the main oil fired wet system but decided not to in the end; it all seemed to be far too complicated & expensive. We also considered a double sided stove (lounge/hall) but that got too picky with Building Regs. so it’s now just a focal point in the lounge with the oil burner as the primary whole house system but the stove will obviously provide some heat to the rest of the house.

Sponsored Links
Would strongly advise getting a backboiler if it is a high output BTU stove, always works much better if the airing cupboard with the cylinder is fairly close, would be a waste to burn solid fuel and not take advantage of running rads off the backboiler at the same time, a good stove gives off mighty heat.... make the most of it and go for a good capacity stove like a Hunter Herald if you can and save on oil costs, the price of oil is not cheap wheras a stove burns coal frugally with great returns.
Are you self building Richard ?

Thanks for showing an interest legs; not self build as such but there has been doing a lot of on-going building work during the update of a dilapidated property we bought in 2004. Practically everything has been extended, repaired or replaced; last bit is the lounge & that multi-fuel stove which is replacing an open fire. It would have made sense to have a back boiler but after doing some research & considering the upheaval, complications & considerable additional expense involved we dropped the idea & there is no going back now the decision has been taken.

This type of cassettes stove more along the lines of what we are looking for;
http://www.waterfordstanley.com/Products/993.htm

Unless we are talking at cross purposes Richard I would not term that a cassette stove. I would consider a cassette stove to be a solid fuel burning unit but inset to the fire surround and flush fitting.
If the Errin model you have shown is the type you are after then off the top of my head I would also check out sites for Nestor Martin, Dovre, Stanley, Saey, Yeoman, Efel, Stovax, Morso, Aga and Esse.
If you want quality then buy cast iron and not steel, check out the efficiency of the stoves. 80% efficient means 80% of the fuel you feed in is turned into heat so a high energy efficient stove may cost more but will pay for itself over and again.
Cheapy cheap stoves are a waste of money
Contemporay designs, though smart are very expensive and do exactly the same as many costing only half.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back