Wiring an oven, hob, cooker hood and double socket

mca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m in the process of refitting my kitchen and on removing the existing tiles from the walls it has revealed (amongst other things) that the electric oven and gas hob (so I assume that’s the electric starter on that) are running from a cooker switch with socket outlet which is connected to a single (32A) fuse in the consumer unit – the consumer unit is an old style plug-in wire fuse type that has had those replaced with MCB plug-ins. Spurred off the cooker switch are the cooker hood (there’s no switch or fuse or anything, it’s just a direct connection) and also a double switched socket. From reading around it would appear that this is perhaps not the way to do things, so what would be the correct way to do it?

In case it helps: the electric oven has a rating of 1.2kW (I’m trying to remember the info from the manual, I can’t find it on-line), I don’t know what the gas hob is rated at, the cooker hood (new one to be delivered) is rated at 200W. The double switched socket usually has a toaster and kettle running on it.

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
The rules are any cable must be protected from overload. You are allowed to protect it at the termination end if the cable is 3 meters or less in length but in the main the protection should be at the point where the cable size changes.
So the cooker hood is likely going to require a fused connection unit fitting.
But as long as only one socket (either single or double) and within three meters of cooker isolator then that's OK as the fuses in the plugs limit current flow.
As to oven it would likely depend on cable size used to feed it. If same size as feeds isolator I would guess on 6mm then likely OK unless oven manufacture states a lower fuse size. But normally for such a small oven one would feed through a fused connection unit (FCU).
The hob igniter would normally be through 13A plug fused down to 3A but could again use FCU.
I would not think you would get all that into a cooker switch and it would need a Cooker Outlet these are available for multi-cables.
Food preparation areas "Kitchens" in England and Wales come under Part P building regulations.

Thanks ericmark. I'll take a look at the cable and attempt to determine what size it is, hopefully 6mm.

There is a bit more to the way things have been wired up, I just skipped over it because I'd need to unravel it to find out what's going on. It involves a choc block that the main cable from the consumer unit goes to before it goes to the cooker switch, I think (and this is where I need to unravel things) that the cooker hood and double switched socket either get power direct from this, i.e by-pass the cooker switch, or use the return from the cooker switch which goes back to the choc block. Will let you know what I find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back