Loft Work

G

gassafeman

Has anyone spent 4 hours in a loft today (in the SE of England).

Bit warm eh! 10 Litres of water needed for me to hang the boiler and run the pipework into the airing cupboard!

140 degrees farenheit up there! Must speed up or I'll melt next time.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I did... Mon and Tuesday 4 hrs each day! A touch sweaty...

Sponsored Links
Serves you right for installing a boiler in a loft and leaving us service guys years of pain.

Serves you right for installing a boiler in a loft and leaving us service guys years of pain.

Yeah, 80 quid an hour to climb a ladder. My heart, it bleeds profusely.

Still, could be worse. You could be one of our boys in Afghanistan, full combat gear, no bath for a week, 40 degree heat, 48 hours with 3 hours sleep, dodging bullets in a sandstorm.

Boiler in a loft: can I hear a violin playing??

are boilers allowed in the loft?
that would solve so many problems I'm having with my kitchen design.. all got to fit round the bloody boiler..

what about the controlls.. i assume you'd fit remote controlled one?

They can go in the loft as long as the loft is boarded out from hatch to the boiler, has a permanent switched light and a proper fixed loft ladder.

Regs also state a guard rail around the loft hatch, but never seen this done yet.

R/f controls make life a lot easier and a filling loop and extra pressure gauge in a downstairs cupboard also helps.

that would solve so many problems I'm having with my kitchen design.. all got to fit round the bloody boiler..

what about the controlls.. i assume you'd fit remote controlled one?

Most installers leave boiler stranded up there without the correct flooring and lighting you can't work by. Most never put a pressure guage and filling loop in the main house, or gas isolation or electrical isolation. You cannot remote the reset button so make sure the boiler is a quality one which doesn't require frequent reset. When pressure goes low boiler is highest thing on system so it overheats. Some boilers will then require a hard reset which a householder is unlikely to discover.

To put old people in this position is abuse.

I would sooner store my cans in the loft and put the boilere unhindered by a cupboard where the cupboard to house the cans was planned.

For a combi a kitchen utility cupboard under stairs garage or bathroom are all preferable to bedroom or loft. Not many houses cannot acomodate a boiler in a sensible place. It is the distorted priorities which prevent it.

Is this ok for a boiler in a loft? Not finished yet but I'm getting there.

I won't work in a loft that isn't boarded. I'll check tanks but I ain't wobbling about on joists in amongst the insulation. You wont get any thanks for dropping a tool or falling through!

It will take an age for the hot water to come through to the kitchen taps though.

The installer will want more too for the extra work. :(

Talking of undesirable places to put boilers, one of my customers has theirs and the hot water cylinder in a cupboard in their bedroom. The bedroom is small and south facing.

Did some work on his diverter valve a couple of weeks ago, and was nearly fainting with the heat from boiler, cylinder and sun through large windows. Don't know how he sleeps in there at night. Although, he is a (white) South African. Probably makes him feel at home!

the main downside to boilers in lofts is the inevitable leaks that will ensue over many years; aav's being the main culprit.

Talking of undesirable places to put boilers, one of my customers has theirs and the hot water cylinder in a cupboard in their bedroom. The bedroom is small and south facing.

Did some work on his diverter valve a couple of weeks ago, and was nearly fainting with the heat from boiler, cylinder and sun through large windows. Don't know how he sleeps in there at night. Although, he is a (white) South African. Probably makes him feel at home!

Yes that's a fairly common scenario I come across at least one a day. The windows are now double glazed locked with no evidence of a key.

the main downside to boilers in lofts is the inevitable leaks that will ensue over many years; aav's being the main culprit.

Yes indeed they all have evindence of gradual leaks and also very shoddy repair work casing screws left off front panels tossed asside. You have to rebuuild the thing aswell as work on it.

Sponsored Links
Back