Loft Work

Is this ok for a boiler in a loft? Not finished yet but I'm getting there.

I won't work in a loft that isn't boarded. I'll check tanks but I ain't wobbling about on joists in amongst the insulation. You wont get any thanks for dropping a tool or falling through!

the light above the boiler is great good effort, I would still need my torch as most of my work approaches from beneath.

The condensate pipwerok inside a loft is classed as external so needs lagging at least but no harm steping up to 1 1/4.

With my lungs I would be coughing for a few days if I didn't wear a respirator though as the fibreglass is exposed. I always put mine on before I go up. We are supposed to wear a bump cap, though I don't have one, I did crack my head not too long ago so can see the rationale.

I did aproach one front door with my ladders respirator and hard hat in hand to a look of incredulity from the householder. I resisted the temptaion to tell them off for allowing some twit to fit the boiler in the loft in the first place. The twit might have been my employer after all. Have to train myself to ask who fitted it before commenting!

Sponsored Links
It will take an age for the hot water to come through to the kitchen taps though.

The installer will want more too for the extra work. :(

I doubt that it will take ages, I live in a 1st floor flat with the loft space above my flat.. so it would be directly above my kitchen.. difference of about 1.5M vertically..
pipes already run into loft space for heating, so would only need to run gas pipe, hot and cold water..

you a corgi man? I'll do you a swap, you come and move my boiler and I'll rewire your kitchen for you.? ;)

the main downside to boilers in lofts is the inevitable leaks that will ensue over many years; aav's being the main culprit.

Yes indeed they all have evindence of gradual leaks and also very shoddy repair work casing screws left off front panels tossed asside. You have to rebuuild the thing aswell as work on it.

That's all part of the fun of following ****ish gas around. My fave of theirs is the l.s.x and blue roll. :LOL:

I had great fun with that a couple of weeks ago. Trying to change a 3 port behind the cylinder that was on an inch of pipe after the cylinder union. Every bloody joint glued together with LSX :evil:

Sponsored Links
I had great fun with that a couple of weeks ago. Trying to change a 3 port behind the cylinder that was on an inch of pipe after the cylinder union. Every bloody joint glued together with LSX :evil:

they have industial vats of the stuff and apply it with a trowel! :LOL:

You Gas Boys :LOL: You have degrees ( if you work for Agile) and you whinge about a bit of graft+ sweat . Use you degrees and get a proper job. Leave the graft to us 2- O level numpty plumbers , and our offspring. We have the genes:cool:

I won't work in a loft that isn't boarded. I'll check tanks but I ain't wobbling about on joists in amongst the insulation. You wont get any thanks for dropping a tool or falling through!

is there enough light there?!! :D :D

is LSX aimed at DIY? It is a nightmare and it is always on tap connections. Surely changing the washer is cheaper?

Whats going on with the flue, it might be my eyes but it looks like its got quite a slope on it, the wrong way? I might be wrong...........

It does look like it has a slope on it! It is ok though, the house was built very quickly in the 70s. Some parts of it look like the builders had a few tins for breakfast so the walls are a bit all over the place. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back