Security lights - advice on cable run please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to install a couple of outdoor security lights. For one of them I'm able to access the back of the lamp going straight through the exterior wall.

The other requires a cable run vertically down the outside of the house, with the run originating in the loft. I can't find any info that specifies whether I need any sort of cable protection in this scenario.

Obviously the cable itself is weatherproof, and it's not going to be subject to external impact or abrasion .... but it still seems "wrong" to be running bare cable outdoors! Anyone shed more light on this please (no pun intended)?

Sponsored Links
most people just use PVC flex, but to be honest am not sure what is susposed to be used. if you wanted to go to extremes you could use SWA

Yeah ... it's the "supposed to be used" bit I'm concerned about :)

Twin and earth cable may be used outdoors out of direct sunlight due to the effects of solar gain. It can also become brittle with climate temperature change.

Can you not drill at an angle to get the cable to enter the rear of the light?

Sponsored Links
twin + earth and pvc flex are NOT designed to be used permanently outside. You could put the cable in plastic conduit or use "arctic blue" flex which IS designed to be used outside

Okay. I must admit I was considering plastic conduit, but more out of guesswork than knowledge .... hence the question. That's helpful - thanks folks.

Didn't I read in the Nic Technical Manual that they frown upon drilling through exterior walls because of water ingress. It makes sense, but Have often wondered how the hell else they expect you to get a cable through. Or am I missing the point somewhat? :confused:

if drilling from inside out drill downwards at a slight angle

breezer said:
if drilling from inside out drill downwards at a slight angle

and use silicone as extra protection

no problems with the drilling down or use of silicon, but if they are gonna get picky, where do i get silicon that don't contain plasticiser?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back