Jointing Compound that Sets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fixed shower head arm that screws into a wall plate elbow.

The problem is that when the shower arm is vertical, its not fully screwed into the elbow. Its a about a 1/4 of a turn away from going tight.

I have tried stuffing it with PTFE and plumbers mait, but no good.

Is there a jointing compound that "sets" that I can use?

All the compounds I have seen either say its "non-setting" or they dont mention whether it sets or not.

I've just grabbed some "folic manganese" from the stores, would that work?

Or should I be going about this a different way?

Sponsored Links
Use gas ptfe/one wrap its far better than that thin stuff, but you might have to use a couple of wraps of it ;)

plumbers mait is not for use on fittings like that its for sanitary etc.
sounds like you haven't used enough ptfe tape

OK thanks, But I'm still not sure how that will help guarentee the shower arm will be vertical when tight?

How about if I put a fibre washer in there to pack it out a bit, would that be OK?

I need it tight because the shower head itself is movable, but the arm will need to be very solid, wont be able to get to it once the tiles are on.

Sponsored Links
OK cool, I'll try the fibre washer with shed loads of PTFE or gas stuff if I can get some.

So there is no advantage using some kind of setting compound?

You could use red hermetite, but you'd have problems removing it in the future. And you might look like you've been tango'd when you come out of the shower. :LOL:

Could I use blue loctite threadlock? Or is that far too amatureish?

Still with a fibre washer and should I still use PTFE?

Use a standard rubber washer, you wont have to over tighten it then.

boss white and hemp

get it done!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I did look at the boss white, the problem is it doesn't say it sets hard, which is what I want.

Does boss white set hard and will it stop my shower arm from being able to be moved?

RE rubber washer, I want it very tight so that the arm doesn't move when the head gets moved/tilted.

boss white and hemp

once its on the threads you could move head 1/4 turn left or right

and it wont leak

boss white and hemp

and it wont leak

Umm sorry I'm not sure you know what I mean.

I dont want the shower arm to move at all, I want it screwed in tight so it wont move. This is one of those fixed shower heads that stick out about 18 inches from the wall. It is also only about 2 inches from the ceiling.

The shower head itself has a pivoting joint for movement so thats ok.

boss white and hemp

and it wont leak

I dont want the shower arm to move at all, I want it screwed in tight so it wont move. This is one of those fixed shower heads that stick out about 18 inches from the wall. It is also only about 2 inches from the ceiling.

glasgowgas means when you put boss white & hemp on it you tighten it until it is tight and if slightly out of line you can move it back till it is line and it wont leak

boss white and hemp

and it wont leak

glasgowgas means when you put boss white & hemp on it you tighten it until it is tight and if slightly out of line you can move it back till it is line and it wont leak

Thats what I thought.

But that will mean the arm is loose and will be moving everytime I repostition the head. I want the arm screwed in tight so it doesnt move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back