electric shower and water pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I can find out there is no reason why I can't fit a single ended pump to overcome low water pressure problem in the house to use with an electric shower.

I actually have two electric showers - one in the loft and 1 on the ground floor of my 2 story house. Is it OK to fit 1 pump to supply both showers? It would have to be negative head type to cope with the loft shower. From what I can find out this would switch the pump on by using a switch. How about the ground floor shower? Would this switch the pump on automatically when I start the shower?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your eleccy showers should already be mains fed, why would you want a pump, which you can`t do, cause it`s illegal to pump your main feed.

if your mains pressure is low you can fit a pump to your existing electric showers but they must be pumped from a tank not the mains.

the triton t450i pump will do that job.

Sponsored Links
I'm aware that I need to switch to tank water from mains - should have said that. The mains pressure is too low to get the electric showers working properly.

Electric showers should be fine with pumped tank water - that's what an electric power shower is after all. I would have thought that all that an electric shower needs a good flow of water at the right pressure.

Will the Triton work for both showers or will I need 2 of them?

if you need a neg head pump then the t450i is no good to you. scrap that idea

I'm aware that I need to switch to tank water from mains - should have said that.
The manuals state clearly that electric showers must be MAINS fed; they don't read: "try to get a decent flow, one way or the other."
What you need to do, if you insist on having electric showers, is to get 2 electric showers, of 8 kw each, that need 0.75 bar or less.

What is your normal mains pressure there?

Hi

I already have the electric showers of 8kW. The problem is that neither work well as I live on top of a hill and the pressure is too low for them. The downstairs one is in the habit of the heater stopping mid shower especially if someone else in the house uses any water. The one in the loft is better (on top of a hill and in the loft of a 2 storey edwardian house with 8ft ceilings - you get the idea with the pressure) however the highest temperature on the mid setting is not quite hot enough and the lowest temp on the high setting is too hot.

Might be better to have 2 pumps. The Triton or similar for downstairs and a negative head one for the loft - and a 100 gallon cold water tank :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back