Broadband works but no landline or dialling tone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

New house, only master socket installed, very new no more than 2 or 3 years old so I'm told.

Have just subscribed to Orange Home Max (broadband and landline), broadband works fine almost 7Mb speed. The is no dial tone though, have tried 4 corded and cordless phones with no joy. According to Orange there is no issue at their end. There has been damp and/or condensation problems in the house, but the connectors seems to be fine.

I've taken some photos:
SNV32694.jpg

SNV32695.jpg

SNV32696.jpg

Orange and white are connected, but there are six other wires all disconnected:
Blue
Brown
Red
Grey
Green
Black

There are four terminals marked 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the removable faceplate. I'm guessing these should be used but after a quick Google I cannot find the answer. I have read here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183954
...that this may be chargeable. I'd like to sort it myself if possible.

Regards,
Tony.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried plugging a phone into the test socket (picture 2)?

Sponsored Links
Nothing you can do - you have no extension wiring and the NTE5a is connected correctly.

It will be an issue either at the exchange at the demarcation point, a problem with the provision, or it could be a line fault between the exchange and your home. Voice will drop out when one side of a pair fails, but ADSL can continue to work unbalanced at times.

If you have a volt meter measure the voltage between the A and B terminals. ( the orange and white wires )

It should be around 48 to 55 volts DC if the line is OK If less than 40 volts then there is a fault on the line to the exchange.

It looks like the contacts for the frontplate,the ones that plug into the back plate have verdigree on them,are they green ? if so probably putting a loop on your line,bb would still work but you`d get problems with in coming calls.If its down to damp openreach will charge to put this right,Openreach branded ntes have only been in use for about 1-2 years so the nte is fairly new.A simple line test will tell you if you have a problem with the nte,nte may be faulty this happen alot after a storm,i`ve replaced about twenty in the last 3 weeks.

Have you tried the phone without the microfilter ?

Got it sorted.

Borrowed a voltage meter from the local sparky which gave me a reading of 51, no problems there.

There was some blue/green verdigris on the test socket, I cleaned it out with nail varnish remover and a small flat headed screwdriver.

Thanks for your help and responses.

It looks like the contacts for the frontplate,the ones that plug into the back plate have verdigree on them,are they green ? if so probably putting a loop on your line,bb would still work but you`d get problems with in coming calls.If its down to damp openreach will charge to put this right,Openreach branded ntes have only been in use for about 1-2 years so the nte is fairly new.A simple line test will tell you if you have a problem with the nte,nte may be faulty this happen alot after a storm,i`ve replaced about twenty in the last 3 weeks.

Good call mate!

Good call mate!

Boom boom!

thanks,Happens alot on cold damp external walls or when dropwire has not been sealed where it enters the house,Glad i could help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back