got a neon tester screwdriver? yes? then read this

B

breezer

Quite often people say " i know this cable is live because my tester screwdriver lights"

Do you expect a doctor to listen to your heart with an upturned glass?
NO, then why are you using a tester screwdriver get and learn to use a multimeter

If you have one of these ("tester screwdrivers") put it in the
images

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
Quite often people say " i know this cable is live because my tester screwdriver lights"

Do you expect a doctor to listen to your heart with an upturned glass?
NO, then why are you using a tester screwdriver get and learn to use a multimeter

If you have one of these ("tester screwdrivers") put it in the
images

i have 1! altho the only thing it gets used for is a screwdriver

Quote "Design and Verification of Electrical Installations - Brian Scaddan"

"Search your tool boxes: find, with little difficulty one would suspect, your 'neon screwdriver' or 'testascope'; locate a very deep pond; and drop it in!

Imagine actually allowing electric current at low voltage (50 to 1000V ac) to pass through one's body in order to activate a test lamp! It only takes around 10 to 15 mA to cause severe electric shock, and 50mA (1/20th of an ampere) to kill.

Apart from the fact that such a device will register any voltage from about 5V upwards, the safety of the user depends entirely on the integrity of the current limiting resistor in the unit. An electrician received a considerable shock when using such an instrument after his apprentice had dropped it in a sink of water, simply wiped it dry and replaced it in the tool box. The water had seeped into the device and shorted out the resistor."

i can see some sense in using one from a last line of protection point of view

ie if you miss something whilst proving dead or the point u=you were measuing realitve to when proving dead turns out not to be earthed etc

a neon screwdriver tells you if there is a voltage realtive to your body

Sponsored Links
i sometimes use mine just to double check the wire is actually dead before doing anything with it

Glad to see breezer's got the required policeman blue dustbin, most apt. This thread might be some use if it was not full of a load of drivel such as

Apart from the fact that such a device will register any voltage from about 5V upwards,

How so? what voltage does it take to strike a neon? It's governed by physics not paranoia. When I did physics it took 90V or so to strike and then the voltage across the lamp would drop to 60V (ish).

So why this hate-in about neon test devices? It sounds like the religeous hatred of books, ie someone wants to make sure they keep the power by destroying knowledge and developing mystique.

No it's not about preserving "mystique", it's about common sense.

Neon testers rely on a resistor to stop you getting a shock.

If you feel that they're so good, why don't you press it against the live wire and use your tongue as the contact point just to see if it lights, hey it's even nearer your eyes that way so you cannot miss it!

It the resistor fails, then watch out. A multimeter does not rely on a reistor to keep you safe.

There is the old sparky story about the apprentice, who when asked to get the neon tester by the trained sparky, duly drops it in a puddle of water. He then wipes it down and hands it over thinking that all is ok. Needless to say, the sparky is not amused.

Here we go again - another "helf and sayftee ishoo" that will have the opposite effect.

How many people have been killed by neon testers? Two? One? None? How many have been saved by them? Probably hundreds.

No doubt Mr Prescott would love to ban them as "old technology" and insist everyone buys a shiny new digital sensor. But these can also be dropped in the washing up bowl. They are also more complex and therefore more prone to failure ("ah, no reading, must be safe"). And how many people who can afford a couple of quid for a neon tester would not stretch to a more sophisticated device, killing themselves with the saving?

Neons are something of a mystery. In theory they shouldn't work if you're up a wooden ladder with rubber shoes. It seems that a combination of capacitance, inductance and earth leakage is enough to provide the necessary 70-90v striking voltage and maintain sufficient current to keep it aglow. The fact is, they do a good job warning of danger. They are simple and rarely go wrong.

Before using one I always flick my finger across the tip, just in case there's a problem. Anyway, if the resistor fails there's still the neon in series which won't pass enough juice to do serious damage.

Common sense, Swindon? Yes indeed.

(Sorry if I seem to be trailing you, Oilman. This one caught my eye while browsing. We do seem to share some sentiments!)

its up to the individual but i would much rather use an approved test piece such as a fluke or a martindale. these are the only two approeved test pieces that are allowed for use within Corus

Oh. I thought this was going to be a story.

It's all very well saying bin a neon tester.

learn to use a multimeter

So where might one learn to use a multimeter? What should certain readings be? What are these certain readings?

Imparting knowledge on users-of-neon-screwdrivers would be more useful than just berating them! I would look forward to this. Maybe you know of a guide?

Who am I to comment, I an only an apprentice, but suffice it to say: if I an looking for a sparky to come round and make my house safe, I think i will go with the chaps who have the GS38 approved test kit. No disrespect to those who don't, but go round and stick your fingers in someone else's sockets.,

oilman,I was only quoting a book, but if you wish to differ with the author, that is your choice. But be warned, his knowledge of electrics will burn anyone away mate. And if you really wish to know where to stick your Voltstick...

I can imagine, really imagine, that people are going to be sticking the tester in a socket and using their tongue to provide the contact. After all we hear of these cases of death from such methods, all the time, NOT.
Very sensible DRIVEL.

GS38, Traineespark, exactly what is it? Have you seen the HSE document about "GS38 approved equipment". Well I have, and GS38 is to do with the length of exposed conductor at the end of the test leads, not the equipment. And the test leads should of course be fused. Hands up all those with unfused test leads. Before you comment on this, READ THE DOCUMENT.

As for multimeter, these are not recommended because of the total prats who don't bother to set them to the appropriate range. The recommended device is a voltage indicator.

PaulAH, thanks for the common sense that so many of the "soon to be elevated to the worshipful company of Part P registered operator" and CORGIlike "that's too dangerous for anybody than us professionals" seem to conveniently ridicule.

Oh, Mr Traineespark, don't get the idea that just because someone has written a book that he is anymore knowledgable than someone who hasn't. This is another holy myth. Some of them ARE very good, but it is not indicated soley by their having written a book.

While we're at it, mostly sparks don't have to worry because they're using solid conductors, but where you're using cables with conductors such as 16/0.2, do you crimp a bootlace ferrule over the strands before you try to push it into an overcrowded terminal block, or do you just hope the frayed strands don't short on to the adjacent terminal, or another frayed strand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back