A silly-billy question!

D

dextrous

So, we all know about new mains wiring installations having to be installed properly by qualified electricians or with BCO involvement. Let's not argue about the details on this thread please.

My silly little question relates to other sorts of "wiring" - in particular:

* Aerial/Satellite cables
* networking wiring
* alarm wires
* telephone wires
* bell wires

Do these need to have any related paperwork, or are they entirely within the bounds of the average DIYer without fear of recrimination?

Sponsored Links
All ok for the diy-er
As long as telephone cabling is after the master socket :LOL:

I only have the first Approved Document P to hand, but it says that work in a special location on

"Telephone or ELV wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, IT,signalling, control & similar purposes"

is notifiable.

Is this the same in the current document?

Sponsored Links
I only have the first Approved Document P to hand, but it says that work in a special location on

"Telephone or ELV wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, IT,signalling, control & similar purposes"

is notifiable.

Is this the same in the current document?

Where special locations = bathrooms and kitchens? If so, the rest of the house and garden (log cabin) is OK?

actually, special location is just locations containing a shower or bath.. kitchen is a seperate entity..

so basically you can wire anything you like that's not mains as long as it's not in a bathroom / shower room.. ( though given that the BR is still quoting the 16th edition, I'd count PV as mains until told otherwise by the next update to the BR )

actually, special location is just locations containing a shower or bath.. kitchen is a seperate entity..

Hmm....

"Special Location" in Approved Document P - is that the same as "Special Location" in BS7671:2008?

Photo-voltaic.

Which is a special installation in its own right, and therefore notifiable.

as specifically described in the building regulations..
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

missed the bit about swimming pool, paddling pool or hot air sauna.. your average houses won't have those, but if you do big houses you might encounter them..

and

“kitchen” means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

BAS, you're absolutely right, it never clicked in my head that PV is an "electricity generator".. don't know why I didn't make that mental connection.... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back