Replacement Electronic Light Timer Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a lght timer that was programmable for 7 days to turn my outside light off and on. It was this model, but an older version the difference being my older version doesnt have the fuse in the unit.

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/pdf/T40S-new.pdf

The switch could be turned on and off with one of these MK switches,

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...hed+Connection+Unit+13+Amp/d190/sd2633/p44377

I replaced the bulb with one of those low energy ones at which point the light start to flicker and the timer unit dimmed and then died, apperently I shouldnt use these type of light bulbs with the timer.

I initially replaced the fuse in the MK switch, when I opened it had a 2A fuse in, not having one to hand I used an 3A, but it still didnt work, I thought it would be ok to use a 3A fuse to replace a 2A one or should I only use a 2A ? Also I'm thinking I 'may have' damaged the MK switch as it was diffcult to get the new fuse in, are you just supposed to put the fuse in and push the carrier in upto the point it stops (which isnt flush) and then turn the screw or just push in ?

Ive ordered another electronic switch the new version with the fuse should that work ok hooked up to the MK switch as well that has a fuse ?

Sponsored Links
That type of timer ( with just two connections ) requires a filament bulb to be used.

This is because the timer uses the filament of the lamp to connect to Neutral to get power for its clock. It already has the direct connection to Live.

Energy saving lamps will not allow enough power to pass from the Neutral so the clock fails to work.

That type of timer ( with just two connections ) requires a filament bulb to be used.

This is because the timer uses the filament of the lamp to connect to Neutral to get power for its clock. It already has the direct connection to Live.

Energy saving lamps will not allow enough power to pass from the Neutral so the clock fails to work.

Thanks for the reply. I tried it with a standard bulb but its still not working, by putting a energy saving lamp in do you think I would damaged the the timer or only blown the fuse ? The fuse in the MK switch was a 2A I only had a 3A to hand and tried it with that but still dead does using at 3A fuse matter, I didnt think it would as its higher rated ?

Was the 3 amp fuse the same physical size as the one that came out ?

Are you sure the 2 amp was blown ?

Using a low energy lamp should not have damaged the timer.

Did you do any other changes to anything ? Did the lamp holder get altered in any way ? Is it in good condition.

Sponsored Links
Was the 3 amp fuse the same physical size as the one that came out ?

Are you sure the 2 amp was blown ?

Using a low energy lamp should not have damaged the timer.

Did you do any other changes to anything ? Did the lamp holder get altered in any way ? Is it in good condition.

Thanks Bernard Green its working now :p after I put the bulb in the fitting, I thought I had tried it before with the bulb in but may be not. It hadnt crossed my mind at all that I needed a bulb in the light fitting to power the switch. Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back