potterton promax he plus not always firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Potterton Promax HE boiler

Recently i have had a problem where it is not firing up in line with the timer. Basically all the timing settings are correct. For example, set to come on at 5.30am and go off at 9.00am but it just does not fire up and i have to press the reset button for it to fire up.

This then works but it only stays on for about 1 hour and then just goes off. Then if i press the reset button again it fires up.

Has anybody got any ideas what the problem might be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a Potterton Promax HE boiler

Recently i have had a problem where it is not firing up in line with the timer. Basically all the timing settings are correct. For example, set to come on at 5.30am and go off at 9.00am but it just does not fire up and i have to press the reset button for it to fire up.

This then works but it only stays on for about 1 hour and then just goes off. Then if i press the reset button again it fires up.

Has anybody got any ideas what the problem might be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

if the case is warm its probably the inner combustion door seal, or a leak of products from the appliance knocking out the inner overheat,
do not repair yourself

Random lockouts are a common problem with this boiler although yours seems more consistant than some.

Its often a difficult task for an engineer to deal with because it could be one of several causes and they include the PCB and gas valve which are both expensive parts.

I usually suggest a fixed price repair by BG or the manufacturers as both can throw parts at it until they find the fault by trial and error rather than diagnostic deduction.

Tony

I usually suggest a fixed price repair by BG as they can throw parts at it until they find the fault by trial and error rather than diagnostic deduction.

Tony

That is british gas standard fault finding procedure; throw as many parts at it as you can. It's all most of em know.

Sponsored Links
Random lockouts are a common problem with this boiler although yours seems more consistant than some.

Its often a difficult task for an engineer to deal with because it could be one of several causes and they include the PCB and gas valve which are both expensive parts.

I usually suggest a fixed price repair by BG or the manufacturers as both can throw parts at it until they find the fault by trial and error rather than diagnostic deduction.

Tony

and what pray tell would your "diagnostic deduction" be in this case glazier?

In this case if its only once a day or less then there is no possibility of making any reasoned diagnosis.

All that can be done is to check the obvious and if that does not identify any faults to change the PCB and after that the gas valve.

I get the impression that BG and Potty usually change both the PCB and the gas valve as they are unfettered by component costs and want to ensure customer satisfaction and eliminate call backs.

As a working BG engineer what do you do?

Tony

In this case if its only once a day or less then there is no possibility of making any reasoned diagnosis.

ah. so what happened to your policy of not taking a guess?

All that can be done is to check the obvious and if that does not identify any faults to change the PCB and after that the gas valve.

I get the impression that BG and Potty usually change both the PCB and the gas valve as they are unfettered by component costs and want to ensure customer satisfaction and eliminate call backs.

you are dreaming again glazier. BG are going mental for parts cost, putting a pcb and a gas valve on the same job will certainly attract a phone call from a manager to "discuss" the reason.

if you are asking me to make a guess then i would plump for pcb if nothing else is obvious. back in the day when BG didnt demand that you close all jobs down, rather than leaving them open to phone and check that it was fixed, i would have gone back round and removed the pcb and tried something else had it not sorted it.

if you are asking me to make a guess then i would plump for pcb if nothing else is obvious. back in the day when BG didnt demand that you close all jobs down, rather than leaving them open to phone and check that it was fixed, i would have gone back round and removed the pcb and tried something else had it not sorted it.

The only way to remove the likelyhood of not fixing the boiler is to replace both on the visit.

BG either need to accept the higher spares cost or accept some call backs will be inevitable.

Tony

The only way to remove the likelyhood of not fixing the boiler is to replace both on the visit.

BG either need to accept the higher spares cost or accept some call backs will be inevitable.

Tony

recalls it is then. anything that doesnt impact on cost is what they are looking for. since banning all re-checks my recalls have gone up, yet this isnt something they will consider as a factor when moaning about my productivity. wlecome to the swings and roundabouts of BG employment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back