Remeha Avanta 28c, weather compensator and RF controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I currently live on the ground floor in a two bedroom flat with a conventional boiler which is probably as old as I am (Thorn M42) :eek: , so I am looking to get this replaced with a modern combi boiler (As I am on the ground floor the water pressure is very good). At present I have 5 radiators, but the TRV valves have stuck on all but one radiator and a room thermostat in the living room.

My local plumber (gassafe registered) has recommended that:

I get a Remeha Avanta 28c
put TRV's on all but one of the radiators
powerflush the system and install the magnaclean
Install a wireless room thermostat
Replace the radiator in the bedroom as its quite old
The quote was for £2100 which included replacing and extending the 15mm gas pipe with a 22mm, extending the water pipes and disposing of the old boiler which seems very reasonable.

After doing lots of reading on this forum on the Remeha boilers, people have mentioned that it is good idea getting the weather compensator - which does sound like it would help with efficiency. My question is the weather compensator a worthwhile investment (on average how much extra would it cost to install), and can the weather compensator sensor be compatible to work with a wireless room thermostat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the weather comp is a good idea but will not work in conjunction with a wireless stat. The sensor is £20 approx and needs to go on a north facing wall, weather comp will save about 5-10% on your gas bill but may prolong the life of your boiler too.

Sounds a very good price to me, especially for London.

Ask him if he can give a full 5 year warranty on the boiler.

the weather comp is a good idea but will not work in conjunction with a wireless stat.
Don't see why not.

You connect the external sensor to X9/1 and 2 and the volt-free wireless stat to X9/7 and 8. If it is a wireless programmable stat, you have to link X2/1 and 4.

Sponsored Links
you can have weather compensation and use a programmable room stat.

Thanks for the replies folks.

The general consensus seems to be that I can have the weather compensator and the programmable room stat.

gas4you - I thought it was reasonable too. Had a few other quotes and one was almost £1200 more . The £2100 plumber did mention that he will give a 5 year warranty on the boiler, but I'll make sure.

Do you think its worthwhile having both the programmable room stat and the weather compensator? Or should I choose one or the other?

Have any of you had experience or installing or servicing a Remeha?

We fit the Remeha with a Honeywell CM927 wireless prog stat.

The Remeha is totally flexible in this repect, you do not need Opentherm controls to make the WC work.

One of my own installations (weather comp) is pictured in their brochure, and the install was featured in a pictorial 'how to fit a remeha' in one of the trade mags last year.

They are probably best of the budget boilers.

If you have the money a Worcester or Vaillant would be worth considering too.

I stand corrected. :oops:

Some boilers will only allow wc or a roomstat and not both; the remeha can accept both it seems.

Thanks simond - Thats a great help!

dangermouse46 - I guess we both learned something on this thread!

Make sure he means a full 5 year parts & labour warranty.

The standard warranty is 5 years parts and 2 years labour.

Get this in writing ;)

You have a 5 year parts and labour guarantee. You installer was a one man band, all be it a very competent and professional chap, but he suddenly dies. What happens to 5 year parts and labour guarantee?

Regards Mike

the 5 years parts and labour is what i am able to offer. Remeha are the people who honour this. (unless they go tits up!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back