A laboured query maybe...???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group...what a fantastic place....!!!!

I'm renewing the flat roof on the dormer extension on our house (1-1/2 storey high).

The old felt has been removed and I'm in the process of replacing some rotten timber decking where it has been leaking (18mm t&g chipboard used originally).

It looks a simple enough job, albeit a large area, approx. 3m x 10m.

There is a gutter to the front, with raised edges at either end. The rear joins the roof just two tiles below the ridge, with the felt under both tiles to a distance of about 300mm.

It also buts onto two chimney breasts at each end, so I'll have to do some work around them.

My question is this...should I go for EPDM or the good old fashioned 3-layer felt for a covering...? (At present the builders blue polythene seems to be doing the trick... :D)

The main draw back I have with the EPDM is that it will come in one big roll, and I imagine will probably weigh the same as an elephant, so shouldering it up the ladder won't be an option...!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dougie.

Sponsored Links
EPDM will come folded up rather than on a roll. Its heavy though - but I managed a 6x4 sheet up a 2-storey ladder, so not impossible

Both systems should perform more or less the same, but EPDM manufacturers claim a longer life

Unless you can lay felt yourself, then EPDM will be easier to fit.

Search this forum, there are lots of posts on the advantages of each.

Its heavy though - but I managed a 6x4 sheet up a 2-storey ladder

Woody.......

muscleMan.jpg

Sponsored Links
As you suspect and as Woody mentioned a 30 square metre sheet will be a good old weight - if it is a single sheet it will weigh in in excess of 35 kilos I should think!

If it is a single sheet you use and it is folded rather than rolled then be careful unfolding it on the roof if there is a bit of a breeze as you will be unfolding a large sail! Ask me how I found out!

Both systems do not perform the same. Epdm has been scientifically proven - German research - to last many many times longer than bituminous based felt roofs. A properly laid EPDM roof will last in excess of 40 to 50 years. Felt will not and does not last anywhere near that length of time - hence why you are probably having to replace the felt on the roof in the first place.

I have recently been to have look at a EPDM roof that was put on a 120 square meter roof in 1982 (so by my reconning it is 27 years young) and it is still completely water tight and still looks fantastic I thought. Won it for me because since 1989 we have had our felt roof re-done twice. First time it lasted 8 years second time about 10 years - therefore went the EPDM route as I didn't fancy the plastic stuff.

Its not to bad to install once you get cracked on with it.

HTH

DaveJ

I remember the days when we carried proper bags of sand and cement (ie 50kgs) on our shoulders across the yard :cool:

I think my abs need a bit more work though

Thanks guys...timber decking has been repaired and I'm in touch with suppliers of EPDM to see what the options are...

Friend of mine has recently done a new dormer in felt, so I may go down that route and get him to help.

Dougie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back