hole in the wall for a fish tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm after finding out if it's possible to knock a 7 foot long by 15" hole in an internal brick supporting wall, for a room divider fish tank. Just wondering what would be best to get in the way of support, an RSJ? If so what size should it be etc.

One concern I have is one end of the whole will be around 1 foot or more away from a door frame at the end of the wall, would this cause any more problems for me or not?

Any help is appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
If it's a supporting wall, you need to consult a Structural Engineer who will provide calculations for the size of the beam you need; you will then need to submit this along with a Building Notice & a fee to you local Building Control dept. who will approve the calculations, inspect the beam installation & give you a certificate of compliance on completion; don’t even think about doing it without professional advice.

Although I don’t have any now, I kept marines for many years & once had similar ideas. Beautiful but for the amount of building work your thinking of undertaking, not worth the hassle IMO. Then there is the problem of where you stick the pumps & filters which would be significant on a tank that size; consider also that such a large hole in the wall will seriously affect the salability of your property unless your buyer also likes fish!

Haha yeh I'm a salty reefer my self! The main body of the tank, sump and all the equipment would be in a cupboard in the adjoining room. I thought I if I ever sold the house (which I'm not planning on ever doing) I could just fill/plasterboard the whole???

Hmm, it dose sound like a rather expensive and faffy job though!!! I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of very rough ball park figure I'd be looking at for the Structural Engineer, Building Control etc etc?

Cheers.

BUMP!

Anyone got an idea of cost for RSJ and Building control fees etc?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Sorry didn't come back cos estimates are always difficult & it's so easy to get it wrong from a distance when you cant see whats involed; only way is to get some quotes but if you add everything in, I would guess it it's gonna be well into 4 zeros.

& now a "sleeper" will probably pop up & slag me off! :rolleyes:

Ta for the response, I know nobody likes to give a guestimate :LOL: I really was just after a vague idea so thanks again for all the info. :D

SE £250
BRegs £150
Beam £300
Labour and other materials £1200
Plus VAT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back