Maxol morocco boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a maxol morocco 20 gas boiler, it has just been serviced and condemed becacause the case seal has split, british gas say the seals are not made anymore, it is the same material that you use to seal doors, it was not preformed, and does not make the boiler airtight as the wires underneath have gaps around them, any ideas on how to sort this, i believe the gasboard are trying to scam me as when they started the service they said the thermastat was knackered but they had not turned the heating on.

Sponsored Links
You must understand that your boiler is probably 20-30 years old and boilers do not last for ever. It was a budget boiler!

BG will only fit seals supplied by the manufacturers as the gas safety laws stipulate this.

There are generic boiler seals available and seals from some other boilers will probably fit too. They are not the same as window seals as they are designed for high temperatures.

However, you may find it difficult to find a registered gas engineer who will be prepared to risk criticism by doing a repair using other than the manufacturers approved parts. I am sure that some would though.

At the age of your boiler, replacement is the usual option.

Tony

I did not think the boiler was that old as the house is only 13 years old, are the seals a generic size ?

Its not as old as I thought and was manufactured from 1988 but it is a very low seasonal efficiency of Band "F" and just 71%. Latest boilers are over 90% !

It is quite possible that the manufacturer's seals are available and if so it would not be the first time that BG have stated that something is not available when it is!

However, fitting combustion chamber seals are not a DIY job and you would need to contact a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you want to investigate the availability you could try a local ( or the central ) branch of Parts Center. Having the part number would make that easier but they should be able to help anyway but quoting the GC number from the boiler would make that easier.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for your help Tony, i will check for parts, i am an engineer but have never worked with gas boilers doing a corgi course is next.

Paul.

if a nasty BG engineer has it in his mind to say something is not available then its usually something difficult to fit. a case seal is not.

i cant be arsed to fire up the laptop but ill stick my neck out and say its likely to be obsolete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back