Pictures / rules / copy right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've copied a load of pictures from you guys over the last few years.

If I was to publish them on my own web site (mainly under a "Hammer house of horrors" section) would you mind ?

Are pictures owned by the originator and therefore I should ask each owned for permission (not that I'd know who owned them). Or are they owned by DIYnot when posted on the site.

Or are they free use, in which case I don't have to thank anyone :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think it is only right to include a "courtesy of" in conjunction of the image, especially so if the image was drawn or created etc.

I would think they still belong to who ever took them in the first place.

All I ask for is £97 for each time one of my pictures is viewed.

Sponsored Links
NO, they are still owned by the author, DIYnot only has permission to display them.

Any pictures I have made I would not worry about but many are not of my making and are direct links to other sites. Even then one does not know if original site had permission. One is allowed to quote 10% of a book for educational and this site would be educational so it may be OK to display here but not on another format. The rules on plagiarism are sometimes hard to follow but using a bibliography normally will be enough. I was very careful with all Uni work but I noted the lecturers were not as careful and I did find answers to some questions on other university sites very handy so we never let on we knew she had committed plagiarism!

NO, they are still owned by the author, DIYnot only has permission to display them.

well we had this come up on another forum i use and it was deemed that the owner of the site owned them and all info given to be displayed within same said forum.what was suggested was that if you posted anything you added a (cc)to it, thus you still owned it. but that may just be that particular forum?.

im not a legalbeagle so i could(and probably)talking complete tosh.

Admin comment on this might be useful to clarify their position.

Personally I would have thought it depends on whether you are profiting financially from others photographs on your web-site. As far as I am awair the copyright of any work is always retained by the originator & I think you would be wise to seek permission before using any material if you intend using it in a profit making way, I doubt anyone would object to the use of their material for educational or instructive matters. :)

Copyright Act requires that the transfer of the title (ownership) of intellectual property is "in writing" so it cannot be transferred by terms of use on a web-site. (In Scotland it is the ONLY form of property which requires a written contract to record transfer of ownership, in England and Wales land does as well).

The site will have an implied licence to use - why else would the owner post the picture. Nothing in the terms of service/disclaimer - see link at bottom of page.

Not a solicitor but commercial manager of a telecomms equipment manufacturer so I deal with IP ownership and licensing at work.

A couple of years ago I put photos of an electrical fault on here and have since agreed that RFLighting can use them. I am happy for anyone to use for the purpose of illustrating the dangers of poor electrical installation as long as they state that the fault was not introduced by an amateur but by a professional qualified electrician and not a DIYer.

I haven't done a web site yet and the site would be about my work as a domestic electrician.

I would like part of the site to contain pictorial sections with two areas:-

When work is done correctly- neat Cu's, safety cable and bathroom zones etc

When things go wrong- messy work, incorrect practices, faulty work, time bomb work etc

I have nudged the admin and asked them to comment.

Being as this site is, most of the images wanted are the ones in the second category and include some 'picture of the weeks' and those shock pictures such as melted cables and melted CU's.

The pictures wouldn't be used for profit as such, more as a nudge to anyone looking for new work as to why cowboys shouldn't be used, why I keep to a mantra of quality materials and why the prospective client should use me.

Do some research and I think you will find it is as I have stated above.
(I have read this subject many times).

However, I dont think anyone will be bothered if you pinch some of these horror pics, especially as they may help prevent re occurrences by encouraging people to use a qualified electrician. ;)

I drew some pictures and had them on the website I run. I used to link to them at times from this site.

Someone (can't recall who) then took them from my site and placed them in the Wiki here without asking. It did annoy me as it took time to draw the images, and I could have put them in the wiki if I wished.

I beleive I backed down and allowed them to stay.

I have no idea on the legalities of it, but I think it is only right to seek permission and keep a courtesy message with the image.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back