concrete floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is obviously a stupid question because i am obviously a novice. But do i have to lay plywood over my concrete floor in the bathroom? Or can i lay the ceramic tile on that concrete floor.

Also, the concrete floor has been painted and sealed with a polyurethane coating. Would it be best to remove that polyurethane coating??? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Plywood is only used to line timber subfloors and protect the ceramic tiles from the movement which always occurs on timber floors. There is no reason to line a concrete floor with plywood (unless you want to raise the height of the floor by a substantial amount).
The only preparation required should be the application of a latex based levelling compoubd to smooth out the floor.
If the existing coating is blistered or soft then it should be scraped and removed. If it is sound then you should be fine but I would still apply a wash latex screed to provide a clean, new surface for the tiles to be laid on.
Jim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back