slateing valleys and verges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please, Im about to slate extension roof two gables, two valleys with cupa spanish preholed and am trying to get my head round the verges and valleys or maybe im just being thick.
Slates are 16x10 with guage of 6"
1) the verges ive built are timber overhanging and I would like to overhang the end slates slightly say 1.5" but with slates holed 1" from the side how do i do this, the only way I see is to cut the edge off the slate and redrill the first hole is this correct?
2) When slating up to the lead valley what is the procedure
3) where the new roof abutts the old part of the house there is a lead valley coming off the old roof and there isnt enough room now for a hopper so im going to put a lead apron on the new roof to take the water down to the gutter, i presume the lead will have to be cut at an angle up the roof so the slate going over it will have the required lap, if i explain it better i presume you cant slate up to a square shaped apron on the side
4) do you put starter slates upside down and does it matter that the holes are upside down so to speak ( predrilled )
thanks Frank

Sponsored Links
Hi Item 2. Only fix the sheet lead valley at head (top) Do not nail through it at any other point. This will allow it to move with the expansion and contraction it experiance via hot and cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back