How to hold a bath tap still

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
...while I unscrew the headworks.

I have some Stilsons but they don't grip well once I have protected the chrome with a rag

sadly access to underneath is very awkward as the bath has been boxed in and blocked with a pipe duct, all painted over.

Sponsored Links
2 bits of ally, in the same way you use them to hold something in a vice.

Sponsored Links
plenty of tape on the spout but something that wont leave the glue on.

you mean in the stilson jaws?
:LOL: I can see why you are puzzled, I use huge waterpump pliers for that. But yes, just to stop the steel gripping directly on the chrome/brass, stick some ally between the 2 surfaces.

boa strap wrench
that's a good idea. I should think you could use it on an immersion heater boss as well to reduce risk of crumpling.
The idea of using a rubber strap wrench either on stubborn tap headwork or a stuck immersion heater boss is preposterous.

To remove tap headwork, if your hands aren't strong enough, use an adjustable wrench on the spout to apply an equal and opposite force.

To remove, or tighten, an immersion heater, use the correctly-sized immersion heater wrench, and, if necessary, a hammer.

The idea of using a rubber strap wrench either on stubborn tap headwork or a stuck immersion heater boss is preposterous.

Then:

To remove, or tighten, an immersion heater, use the correctly-sized immersion heater wrench, and, if necessary, a hammer.

Classic. :LOL:

Most of us `professionals` would use blowlamp to warm the threads. ;) :LOL:

Most of us `professionals` would use blowlamp to warm the threads.
Indeed so. The destructive trail of you blowlamp-happy numpties is in every new build, and in most other properties.

The correctly-sized wrench is usually enough, so a hammer is rarely necessary, but when it is it's for tapping the wrench, not tw*tting at anything.

Meanwhile, you haven't offered any solution to the original question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back