2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace an old 2-gang switch (operates 2 independent lights) with a new dimmer switch. Got meself in a bit of a tangle! Having removed it I can't remember now how the old switch was wired (so no lights in the room for Christmas - dumb or what?). There are two sets of red and black wires plus an earth-wire to the switch backplate. The new dimmer switch has 2 sets of connector blocks with an L1, L2 and Common on each. I think (slight exaggeration my wife says!) that one red and black pair went to an L1 and L2 terminal, while the other pair went to a Common and either L1 or L2 terminal originally. Unfortunately, I can't recall which wire went to which terminal though (although I know which red and black pair are which). I'd be very grateful for any advice on how to wire this up. Thanks :oops:

Sponsored Links
if its 2 cables and 4 wires.. then it should be Red from one cable to com and the corresponding black to L1 and the same on the other dimmer..

and Connect the earth..

if you connect both to L1 and L2 nothing will happen..

David

dw3101 said:
if its 2 cables and 4 wires.. then it should be Red from one cable to com and the corresponding black to L1 and the same on the other dimmer..

and Connect the earth..

if you connect both to L1 and L2 nothing will happen..

David

OK - thanks David, I'll give it a try and let you know What happens
Stephen The Sparky said:
Have you got a two way switch on either of these lights or is it just 2 x 1 way circuits ???

Hi Stephen, I've got a single twin-switch unit (if that makes sense) - one switch for each of two lights in the same room - i.e. I guess that's 2 x 1 way circuits?.

Hi gents - taking advantage of a bit of daylight, I've connected the new switch today as you suggested - red to com, black to L1 for each of the 2 x dimmer buttons on the switch. Both lights are working perfectly now.

Thanks again for your prompt help - greatly appreciated. All the best. Tony.G

Sponsored Links
You should be able to connect up as follows

The red cable will be a feed so that can go to Common

The black cable will be a switched live up to the light so that can be connected to L1

And exactly the same for the other dimmer

Let me know how you get on ???

:eek: :eek:

Neither light can be operated from a seperate swtch at another location can it?? Think steve is my wavelength that one of the pairs may be a strapper.

Or it could simply be as said in post directly above(hopefully!).

SORTED!!

Hi gents - taking advantage of a bit of daylight, I've connected the new switch today as you suggested - red to com, black to L1 for each of the 2 x dimmer buttons on the switch. Both lights are working perfectly now.

Thanks again for your prompt help - greatly appreciated. All the best. Tony.G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back