Swine flu: panic grows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The government's telephone and online information system set up to deal with the swine flu pandemic is being overwhelmed by millions of enquiries as fear mounts.

Makes you wonder how they would deal with a real crisis.

Sponsored Links
government's telephone and online information system

Just a way to give someone a job, they are not medically qualified and according to one doctor on the tv last night asking the questions from a list can and does lead to wrong diagnosis. If someone ringing in was to tell them something which was not on the list of questions it stumps the operator.

Can't say I've seen a huge amount of panic round our way. Probably 'cos they're all staying in and phoning the help lines. I love this thing about 3 weeks self certification, just my damn luck I'm not working or I could have had 3 weeks paid leave.

I wouldn't have done it of course!!

Just getting over a short bout of flu, lasted about 48 hrs and it has left me tired and washed out, was it swine flu? Who knows ?

I was offered the Tami flu medication but my GP (a really good bloke) he said it could shorten a seven day illness by one day but there was a one in ten chance that I could experience side effects which include nausea and vomiting. He recommended paracetemol and rest, plenty of fluids etc and just monitor your condition, so that I did.

I had proper flu over Christmas and what I have just had is nowhere near as bad.

The danger of diagnosis over the telephone is clear, there will be cases where mis diagnosis will cost lives of that I am certain. Also people (fit and healthy) will be calling up to try and stockpile the drugs which will falsify the figures and deprive needy cases of the drugs required.

Back in the day GP's would be out and about visiting patients and doing extra hours when an outbreak struck. It was just part of the job but not know it seems.

Sponsored Links
People have been dying from regular flu for centuries. Even today's' figures dwarf those of swine flu. A whole lot of fuss to sell newspapers.

I've had it for 2 days now. It's no big deal - not going to quack or phoning anybody and you can stick Tamiflu wherever you like.

Its just natures way of thinning the population.
When 10,000 or so are dead from this flu then nature will have done its duty. :rolleyes:

Its just natures way of thinning the population.

I'm sure that will be of great comfort to them...... :LOL:

The problem is most of the people ringing up, do not have the Flu, they are trying to stock up with Tamiflu.

My daughter took it when it first kicked off and it made her sick. Her boyfriend didn't take it and got better quicker. Bet someone will get rich out of this.

Been diagnosed by a visit by my doctor today. Sore head, aching body, temp otf 104. Do I care.... 5 days quarentine and Ill be back fireing on all cylinders.

Do feel rough though - yes.

Pal

media hype maybe,
strange descissions definatley,in our town it was reported that a boy of about 14 had it and the medicine was going to delivered by taxi to the home,but they were told NOT to open the front door to get it until the taxi driver was safely back in his car :rolleyes: but IT WAS OK to send the younger daughter to the same school :LOL: and this was from the authoritys. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back