Maxol Microturbo 40H MDF boiler - rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm hoping you can offer some advice for a problem I've just found on my Maxol Microturbo 40H boiler, so I know what to expect when I get the experts in to take a look next week, and phone Maxol/Halstead:

It's worked fine since I bought the flat in 2005 (boiler installed around 1998). I've just noticed a small bit of rust on the base of the unit about 1inch diameter. It hasn't rusted through, but I expect that it won't pass a service because of the rust and will need replacing asap - is this true?

If the cause of the rust can be fixed, could just the case of the unit then be replaced, or would the whole boiler need to be replaced?

Lastly, it's installed in the kitchen in the centre of the flat and the flue travels out through a boxed in section in another room to the outside - distance of about 7metres. I've was once told that if a boiler is replaced, the flue has to be replaced as well - is that true?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
You don't live in chelmsford do you? there's a load of these installed in flats there with flues all dissapearing into the wall and running in voids, ceilings etc. Basically the flues were all sloping back to the boilers, condensation was running down and rotting the elbow on the fan connection making them dangerous. All at risk after repair. I would suggest getting someone in pronto to be on the safe side.

To answer your other questions,
yes, if you replace the boiler, you will need a new flue.
also it can't be boxed in without being inspectable throughout its length :confused:

Thanks for your replies MickyG. Don't live in Chelmsford, but not far away in central London, so it may be a similar installation and problem. I'll look into that.

Interesting what you write about "it can't be boxed in without being inspectable throughout its length". It's boxed in through the ceiling of the room it passes through, and I can't imagine it is inspectable throughout the length of the flue at all, as you would have to take a section out of the ceiling to get at it. Going to be expensive to replace the flue I think!

Sponsored Links
yeh thats because the rules changed a couple of years ago. It would have been alright at time of install. Probably worth getting someone in for a look, as the problem I described can be dangerous.

Chelmsford Eh?, Iv'e had problems with these in Wickford only a few miles south of you, perhaps its an Essex thing?

for the OP's info, flues now have to be inspectable as there was recently a carbon monoxide incident involving a powermax boiler with twin flue installation involving a major house builder called *****t

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back