where to get milk crates from ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
many tradesmen use milk crates as step-ups for working near ceiling height in domestic properties..

years ago I had one I got from somewhere and made a 12mm plywood top for it and cut the stacking nibs off it to use all of the rim as support, not just the 4 corners..

it was great, seat at breaktimes, place for the toolbox when standing up, place to sit while working on low sockets etc..

it vanished at some point and I would like to get another one.. but I've no idea where to aquire them from... you don't see them left on doorsteps anymore these days..
I wouldn't mind paying a couple of quid for one for that matter..

Sponsored Links
LOL - ask a bloody milkman! ;)

We get one left when he doubles up the milk. Do you want me to post it to you? They come in blue, red, or green

^woody^";p="1286122 said:
LOL - ask a bloody milkman! ;)

Just wait for him to deliver down the road.

Help yourself and you'll probably get 2 weeks worth of tea break milk for free!

:)

Sponsored Links
Then wait for the Travis lorry to turn up and you'll get your plywood top!

Et voilà.

Problem solved.

If you really wanted to be sure, then hang around for a youngmans lorry and you could have a free podium or mobile access tower!

Where I used to work, we used boxes made up from 3/4" ply that you could turn any way round, giving three different working heights.

5 bits of ply with a bit of battern in each corner to wind screws into to hold it all together, cut a hand holes to carry it by, stain or french polish it :p and away you go.

leave one side open, and it's a box to carry odds and sods back to the van at the end of the day. A bit of broom handle across it makes a carrying handle, and supports the longer sides.

I've had one for about 6 years now, which i use for skimming when i need a little extra height.

Here's my story: (cue Simon Bates 'my story' music)

My friend (cousins partner and father of my little cousins) was a plasterer for the council. He did some work for me and consqeuently taught me how to skim to a fairly decent diyers level.
He left his milk crate at my house once and vowed to return to get it as it was invaluable to him.
...he was shot dead not too long after in a scuffle with a local scumbag! :cry: I promised my cousin i'd never part with it after that.
Even my mrs knows not to do away with the milk crate, for fear of me ripping her thumbs off. :evil:

R.I.P. Paul :cry:

Lets raise a glass of milk to the common milk crate!

edit: the scumbag was eventually caught and got 27 years!

Try round the back of your local boozer, you'll probably them empty beer crates waiting for collection.

Rico

I just found 2 in the cellar :D

Now all I need is a scaffolding board to go on them.

Sponsored Links
Back