Worcester Bosch regular system -v- combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has had quotes in for replacing her existing regular system boiler with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri15. The heating engineer who she would like to instruct has said he will charge approximately an extra £550 for taking out tanks, changing pipework if she wants a combi system (which neighbours are telling her to do). If she has a combi installed, will a single person easily recupe the extra £550 over say £10/15 years? Alternatively, if anyone has any idea how much it costs to heat a cylinder that might help - she runs approx 2 baths, 5 showers and 2 washing machines loads off the cylinder weekly, as well as general washing up.

Sponsored Links
It depends on her gas bills now. I halved my bills and I would expect your mother to save at least a quarter.

washing machine doesn't draw hot water. Also she won't be heating a tank full of hot water on the off chance she wants to wash her hands.

Why does your mother need/want to replace her boiler?

How big is the property? A combi boiler may be OK for a single person. But if it is a 4 bed house with 2 baths and a shower, a combi would struggle supplying hot water to more than one outlet at a time. And this could have an effect when it comes to sell the house.

Does the £550 include the extra cost for the combi over the regular boiler?

I doubt if the boiler will last 10-15 years. They used to in the "good old days" when there were no electronics the heat exchangers were made of cast iron and weighed a ton.

fatplumber said:
washing machine doesn't draw hot water
Depends on make and model. Some current models still have hot and cold fill, though you can always connect them together with a Y-piece and connect both to the cold supply.

fatplumber said:
I halved my bills
Which boiler etc did you remove and what did you replace it with?

Sponsored Links
She has decided to replace her existing Potterton boiler as it is 25 years old and understands parts are no longer available. Being elderly she wouldn't want to wait a few weeks for a new boiler in the winter. She has a 3 bed bungalow with bathroom and shower - a combi would be suitable for her as a sole occupant, but like you say for a family, maybe not.

She has decided to replace her existing Potterton boiler as it is 25 years old and understands parts are no longer available. Being elderly she wouldn't want to wait a few weeks for a new boiler in the winter. She has a 3 bed bungalow with bathroom and shower - a combi would be suitable for her as a sole occupant, but like you say for a family, maybe not.

aint broke, don`t fix it. ;)

Sounds as though he is quoting for a basic boiler change as opposed to a combi.

In reality, one would have to guess she still has the original HW cylinder still in place. If this is the case, then he should be quoting to replace this at the same time, or at least give her the option as it costs a lot less to do this at the same time.

Also an old cylinder will be scaled up and the efficiency of the new boiler will be lost due to the inefficiency of the old cylinder.

A boiler and new HW cylinder will hardly be any different in price than a new combi.

aint broke, don`t fix it.
Well said.

A new boiler will cost about £2k to replace. If your mother takes the money from savings she will lose interest on £2k for ever and if she has to borrow it, she will pay interest at maybe 15% for four years. All she will save is a few hundred pounds a year on her gas bill. And she will be advised to take out a maintenance contract, due to the relative unreliability of modern boilers, which could easily wipe out any savings on the gas bill. Though some boilers come with a five year parts and labour guarantee if fitted by an approved installer.

As it happens the cylinder was replaced a few months ago as it was leaking. I don't know the lifespan of cylinders, but this should be good for a few years now.

Also an old cylinder will be scaled up and the efficiency of the new boiler will be lost due to the inefficiency of the old cylinder.

A boiler and new HW cylinder will hardly be any different in price than a new combi.

All complete rubbish from someone who hasn`t installed a system in his life.Get advice from an installer, not a breakdown monkey. :rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Showing yourself up as the forum idiot again :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You do it to yourself everytime:cool:

OP you can check my credentials anytime and anywhere.

Strange you cannot do the same with legion :rolleyes:

Hang onto the cylinder then if its not very old.

Contact warmfront mate she might be eligible for a grant if over 60.
Local council will usually pay contribution (if any).

...All complete rubbish from someone who hasn`t installed a system in his life.Get advice from an installer, not a breakdown monkey. :rolleyes:
If anyone ever needed proof that you are a clown who knows nothing about boilers, you have now supplied it.
From the entire amount of RGI's, good breakdown engineers make up the smallest number.
As an idiot only pretending to be a RGI, you would of course not have the faintest clue about this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back