Speaker Wire for Sauna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a heat resistant speaker cable (bell wire) which is suitable for installation in a sauna.

Thanks in advance

mas

Sponsored Links
If it's solely for connecting up speakers, I'm not sure there's any need for high temperature cable - if the sauna's hot enough to melt PVC, I'm not sure you'd want to be spending that much time in there yourself! Just be sensible and don't run it directly above/near the heater.

thanks, its what I thought but just wanted to make sure before I go ahead.

Thanks
mas

Indeed - I wouldn't be worried about the cable, I'd be far more worried about the speakers themselves!

Sponsored Links
Most PVC cable is only rated to 70C, temperatures in a sauna can often exceed this.

For speakers, you need to get ones which are designed to be used in a sauna, as they will need to be heat resistant and waterproof.

thanks for the tips...but I assume there just aren't any speaker wires that are heat rated over 70c, which is what prompted my post..

Do the wires need to be inside the sauna though? Could just drill through where the speakers are fixed and put the wires outside?

Do the wires need to be inside the sauna though? Could just drill through where the speakers are fixed and put the wires outside?

unfortunately its an internal sauna made by dividing an existing room...so the wires would be exposed on the other side if I did it that way.

mas

thanks for the tips...but I assume there just aren't any speaker wires that are heat rated over 70c, which is what prompted my post..
But you don't want speaker cable....
(bell wire)
Just use high temperature flexible cable. Tri-rated should be good to at least 90°, PTFE or silicone rubber to at least twice that, by which time you'll be dead.

Honestly, I'd put £10 on any old speaker cable being fine. And hey, even if I'm wrong, it's not as if were talking dangerous voltages here (unless you happen to be running a concert sized PA in there!). Just make sure there are plenty of clips to prevent sagging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back