Negative points regarding screws v nails for oak floor fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have finally ordered some Elka 18mm oak floor in aged golden oak.

Since I have a few battery drills and don't have a 45 deg floor nailer I was thinking of using self drilling floor screws designed by Elka for the fix.

I accept that the fixing will take more time, but that's not an issue since the work is for me.

So is there any negative aspects of using flooring screws which self drill and countersink over the generic nails?

From my (limited) knowledge I would think:-

Screws will provide a firmer, less movement fix.
More chance of debris due to screw self drilling- countered by having the vacuum in action after each row completed.

Big question is do you pro's have any real argument / reason why you would use nails over screws (other than time = money).

Ta to any that offer advice / considerations.

Sponsored Links
We know Elka has special screws 'invented' to be used with their floors, so if something does go wrong you can address them.
However, we still doubt the product - call us old fashion if you like ;) - but nails will allow the floor some movement when it expands/shrinks due to the angle. I can't see screws allowing the same and have seen disastrous effects of screws where the whole board was ripped in two - wood is very strong and if it wants to go it goes, no matter what screw you use.

We've not used Elka screws and we don't plan to use them either, but if you trust the product and believe the claims - go ahead.

We've not used Elka screws and we don't plan to use them either, but if you trust the product and believe the claims - go ahead.

:eek:

I read that as a full legal caveat, as in buyer beware- but we wouldn't..

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back