Customer issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping for a bit of advice!

I have an issue with a customer that won't pay. It gets complicated!

I quoted for a customer last year for decorating a kitchen, HSL and toilet and was told that it was a charity that would be paying (easy so far). In May this year I got a call from the charity advising that they had raised the funds and would like me to start the work.

I finished the work and showed the customer around and he said he was happy with the work (even adding would I be prepared to do some work privately as he was so happy with the work and wanted more done that the charity wouldn't pay for). Great! Sent off invoice to the charity.

A week later I got a call from the guy saying that there were a few little bits that he had found that he wanted correcting - not a problem I went the following day and resolved the bits.

It is now 2 weeks later and no money has been received so I have rang the charity and they have told me that he has told them not to pay me because he is not happy with my work!

10 minutes later, the postman has arrived and it is a letter from the customer with a whole list of additional things that he claims I have done wrong.

My problem is: 1, when I initially left site he said he was very happy. 2, once again he was happy when I have been back. 3. Why has it taken him another 2 weeks to compile another list and why didn't he point them out when I returned previously 4. It isn't even him paying anyway so why is he witholding the money?

I really don't know where to go from here. Could anyone advise what they would do.

Sponsored Links
Do you have anything on paper before the works started? Like an order confirmation detailing who the client is (i.e. the charity)

Did the quote at least mention that the charity would be invoiced?

Sponsored Links
You have to look into the latest complaints and either agree them or disagree. The time it has taken for him to complain is largely irrelevant.

On the next visit, have a pre-prepared form to state that the work is complete to the guys satisfaction and get it signed by him. If there are any issues get him to write them down. Don't leave without the form signed one way or another. Agree or disgaree any issues as necessary

Then deal with the Charity direct. Advise that the work is complete and if there are issues then ask to meet a representative of the Charity at the property to actually agree the work.

Put it to the Charity that the guy is being unreasonable and nit-picky and that the work is (as far as you are concerned) up to any applicable standard. Also advise that you are desperate for the money and would like this resolved urgently

It seems that you were instructed by the Charity, so chase them

Yes, like Woody (not related ;)) says: "
It seems that you were instructed by the Charity, so chase them"

Whatever work you do, the first priority is who are you contracted to do the work for. If you have a Council contract working on council houses, you are answerable to the Council, not the tenant. However, if the tenant isn't happy with the work, it's up to the Council's Supervising Officer to call you back, or not, as the case might be. 'He who pays the piper calls the tune'. The same applies with grant work. If you are confident with your work, call a site meeting and get it sorted out. And most importantly, don't get caught up in this situation again. You seem to be tangled up a catch 22 circumstance. Get signatures on paper, paper, paper and more paper. A pain in the rump, but it works.

Poet

Sponsored Links
Back