Well maintained.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Meter/intake room, supplying shops with flats above (ex local authority). This room is kept locked but all owners and tenants have a key. When it rains it gets quite wet in the room.
101_0084.jpg

The MET
101_0090.jpg

Rust
101_0085.jpg

101_0088.jpg

All this is live.

Sponsored Links
Watch this space, I've got some pics of a place I've been inspecting this week, similar scenero, and justs just say it isn't good :LOL:

crikey!!!! :eek:

i'd be worried too if I were you starspark. Another one of your recently satisfactory periodic inspections, don't think the "Limitations" box will get you out of this one! :eek:

Sponsored Links
what is the red/white/blue cables?

I take it they are all the positive/live wires coming in. But whats with all the colours? Is that different phases or something? The old standard colours?

what is the red/white/blue cables?

I take it they are all the positive/live wires coming in. But whats with all the colours? Is that different phases or something? The old standard colours?

Red, white, blue were fairly short lived standard phase colours around 1950ish

They were replaced with red, yellow, blue, and now brown, black, grey.

thanks for the answer rf, so it must get a bit confusing where a blue can be live or neutral then and black to add to that on new colours! or is always obvious if the circuit your working on is 240 or 415?

Guess if you always work on 3 phase then it would be easy for you to make a mistake on a 240v circuit? or vice versa?

To be honest, it's not as big a problem as you might expect.

Proper labelling of conductors / terminals is a must. It is a reg to label every conductor with L1, L2, L3 & N indicators at every junction between old and new colours.

Single phase is not really a problem as you don't have the issue of black / blue swapping their function.

Normally three phase is supplied in SWA or some sort of multi core cable, so it is easy to identify whether cables are old or new colours.

As with everything, proper testing would identify any wrong connection well before you even think about re-energising the circuit anyway.

Maybe in that situation, but the cores should be sleeved up with SP colours anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back