Induction hob fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought an induction hob and it came without a plug.
I have checked my house has a 30 amp fuse in the main fuse box for the oven.
Behind the main cooker i have 2 sockets - one which runs the electric oven.
Can i put a 13amp plug on the Induction hob and plug it in? It is i believe rated at 2.5kw but reading some posts (to search for answers) this can go to over 5kws when in full use (i can only guess if more than one hob is being used) will a 13amp fuse be okay? Being a stonemason and not an electrician, can i presume i wont fry the 13 amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
It is likely to be rated at more than 2.5kW if it is an induction hob - unless it is very small! Is there a data plate on in anywhere? What make and model is it? What do the MI say?

I undertsand that diversity cannot be applied (usually) to induction hobs. Basically the cable will need to be able to supply the full output of the hob. It is highly unlikely that it will be able to be plugged in.

Hi Cani
I would suggest reading the installation instructions , as they are usually quite specific on power requirements .
Most electric hobs these days require 30amp supply on 6.0mm cable and need to be connected via a control switch which will isolate both live and neutral and have clearance at contacts of at least 3mm.
I would never connect any electric hob to a 13amp outlet.
If you are unsure of what you are doing then please for your safety sake , employ a qualified electrician who will advise the best course of action.
Also if the hob is not installed to manufacturers instructions .. then any warranty on your hob will be void. Your house insurance may not pay out as it would be classed as negligence.

Hope this helps
Phill

I looked at the hob and it says 5600w. It has Blue/Brown wire joined to each other and a Black joined to a Grey wire with a traditional Earth wire. So that's 5 wires (creating 3 connections).
My lack of knowledge on this will now cause me to phone my electrician on Monday BUT any more advice would be gratefull just to increase my knowledge on the subject.
Note: just looked at the other posts, my kitchen has a seperate switch that says COOKER on/off just above the worktop - is this the isolating switch people are mentioning? it runs into the main fuse box that is rated at 30 amps marked 'Cooker'.
Can I presume this will be enough for it to run a cooker and Induction hob without having to add extra wires to the main fuse box (can the induction hob and cooker be run from the same 30a fuse) Still going to have electrician round but as said, be interesting to know a little more before i give him a call on Monday.

Sponsored Links
Please remember this is a guess. But what I think you have is a grey import designed for France where they connect two supplies to their hobs hence 5 cables which here we connect together.

At 5600W it needs 25A in theory 4mm cable but in practice 6mm cable will be used.

Do read instructions as because it is electronic it may need semi-conductor fuses not an MCB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back