Glow worm boiler whistling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Standard forum question perhaps, but here goes...

I have a Glow worm Economy Plus 50FF. It is connected to a primatic DHW cylinder. I have 2 circuits each with a 2 port MV and a seperate pump (Grundfos UPS15/50). All pipework is in 8mm.

When the boiler fires from cold, everything appears to work well and quietly. The heating and hot water both work.

As the water warms, a whistleing noise occurs. I have an airvent at h/l above the boiler. The whilstling only occurs when the burner is firing.

My limited logic says;

Heat exchanger;
blockage causing kettling (although Im not convinced)
WAterside leak somewhere

Fan:
leaking seal so when burner firing (and subsequently fan), there is a leak there.

Distribution:
air vent at h/l malfunctioning

I'm seeking;

1. Ideas for the obvious checks or causes from known experience
2. a method to fault find this problem

Sponsored Links
Are you a school teacher?

It does sound as if its likely to be kettling.

That can be treated/cured using chemicals but thats not possible in situ and a gas engineer would be needed to remove the HE from your boiler. All of which would be uneconomic with your age of boiler.

The best advice I can give is to put up with it as long as it runs and plan to replace your cylinder with a proper indirect type asap.

If you really wanted to try to keep the boiler then AFTER you have replaced the cylinder you could add some Sentinel X200 and see if thats strong enough to cure the problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
But usually an over gassed boiler would make the noise all the time the burner is on whereas this one is only after the boiler gets warm.

Not conclusive, but makes me think its more likel to be ketling.

Tony

Over gassed, noise does not start straight away as the system is cold enough to take the excess heat. Slow pump is also a suspect
I know how i would get rid of noise if it was mine but primatic instructions tell you not to do it

So you are really meaning that its kettling but due to the boiler power being too high rather than a whilstling at the burner.

We can only advise him in relation to the correct procedure with a primatic.

I expect he means put the X200 into a rad and then run the system as usual but treat the hot water as potentially contaminated. However, X200 is best left in the system and continues to have an effect on lime deposits for several weeks.

Tony

Yes kettlig/whistling due to over gassing very common on low water content boilers.

so what is over gassing? and can this in any way be linked to temperature sensor failure or being out of calibration? e.g. if return water sensor is suspect, then will this over shoot?

also, I've got what looks like an AAV at high level... perhaps I'll try replacing that in case its causing whistling due to either poor setting or failure in spring?

Over gassing means that the power output of the boiler is set too high. That has to be checked and adjusted by a gas qualified person.

I still think that its just kettling as a result of lime scale and a poor system flow rate which would be pretty common for anyone with your system.

Increasing the pump speed to "3" would reduce the effect but the pump may already be on "3" anyway.

Its about time you brought your system up to current modern standards anyway but to do that fully would mean repiping as well as a new cylinder and converting to pressurised.

Tony

thanks for your response... the last service looked at over gassing I think, however within a few months after service, noise returned.

I'll call someone out. I'm not replacing tho as it seems it aint broke yet, plus I'm moving so the investment case for a few system is somewhat weak.

thanks and I forgot to say... do glasgwegian boilers suffer from limescale?

thanks for your response... the last service looked at over gassing I think, do glasgwegian boilers suffer from limescale?

overgassing (as i read into this thread) is when your gas valve is out of calibration, so to speak, hypothetically if your burner pressure should be say 10 mbar, but is actually passing 14 mbar then too much gas not enough air, poor combustion and a wee whistle!!!

never seen a Glaswegian boiler suffer from limescale, in 25 years.

black thick sludge yes :evil: :evil:

The practical effect of "over gassing" is that the power input is higher than the heat exchanger can adsorb.

That most often results in kettling which can sometimes cause a whistle rather than the usual noise.

That effect is exacerbated by lime scale in the heat exchanger.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back